Going delivery without poaching pick up customers......

Discussion in 'Staff Problems and Praise' started by Luke, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Luke

Luke Member

Hi Guys,
    Would love to hear your thoughts on how I can start delivery to try and get new customers without causing my existing pickup customers to switch to delivery at the same time.....
    We’re a 6week old local pizza shop doing solid fri/sat/sun business (about 150+ pizzas), but I want to expand the business in quieter mid week nights and later on weekend nights.
    But I’m terrified as we’re so busy dealing with our usual rush hour pickup orders on the weekend, I don’t want to make it more complicated, and to have to increase labour for the same amount of pizzas.
    We’re a one oven shop (wow ps640) and have about 3 people in from of our 3 door prep fridge making pizzas.

2. d9phoenix

d9phoenix Well-Known Member

Starting Delivery will incur a fairly large initial expense, and it will take time for it to start paying for itself.

But if you do it right, your ticket average should be higher then carryouts. So you need to decide if all the extra costs will be worth it in the long run, and make sure you can afford it in the short run.

From what you have said about your setup, in my opinion, you should not try to do delivery. It sounds like to me that you are already pretty much at max capacity during your busy periods.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just sharing my experience to give you a better idea of what you would be getting yourself into.

3. Luca Veltri

Luca Veltri New Member

I wish I had your problem. I wish I did NOT deliver. Unfortunately it is about 20% of my business. But finding drivers suck. Always communication problems with customers (example, they literately dont know their own address). The food doesnt taste the same. insurance goes up (if you get coverage. you can be sued for your drivers accidents and such). Not having delivery would be like winning the lottery for me. like D9phoenix said, if you don't NEED it, then why? If you were struggling and not delivering, way different story. just my 2cents

4. jerseydevil1977

jerseydevil1977 Member

Try using one of the third party companies like uber eats or door dash that keep popping up. Amazon is even getting in on it. We ended up on door dash and we get one or two orders daily it seems and we didn't even sign up with them. We do delivery so I'd rather not see the third party companies taking all the deliveries since that makes for disgruntled employees(drivers)and higher labor cost. Going from delivery to third party full stop wouldn't shake out too well for us I suspect ad delivery usually makes up about 40 - 50 % of our orders.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk