3-phase ovens, single phase building

I am starting my new location (after 9.5 years I’m finally getting a 2nd store!) It’s in a very small town and I am trying to do it on cheap. I have an extra set of Lincoln 1832’s that are 3-phase. I just found out my building is single phase and it would cost $15,000 to get 3-phase service. My question is can the oven itself me converted somehow or do I need to buy phase converters? Or just bite the bullet and buy a set of gas ovens for this store.

Hi crusher.
I think you would be better off with a set of edge gas ovens. Our clients are having great success with them.
George Mills

Hi George, Edge came out with a lower cost oven at the Pizza Expo, but I do not see it on their website now. Do you know what’s up with that?

http://genesisovens.com/

That is a Genisis oven.

Apparently this is a version of the edge but with a limited warranty and not the same components that are used in the Edge oven.

George Mills

The Genesis ovens come without the modulating gas valves which is what makes the Edge ovens so efficient. In the long run I would guess that the Edge ovens with the modulating gas valves and 5 year warranty would be cheaper once you add in the expense of gas and repairs.

There is an appliance named The “:Rotary Phase Converter” That will take single and turn it into 3-phase.
My understanding of how it works is think of a generator that runs on electricity instead of gasoline. The single phase powers a motor which in turn spins a 3-phase generator to provifde you with 3-phase.

It is possible that there is a solid-state phase converter available to do this also, so you do not have a whirring generator spinning all the time.

Call a commercial electrician for more info, or call your power provider and ask how much it would cost to have 3-phase installed to your building. I believe 3-phase is charged at a lower usage rate too, so the install may pay for itself over some time.

Now, here’s what we have had happen with 3-phase, if a single phase goes out, the typical home user doesn’t even notice, but if we lose a phase locally, half my stuff doesn’t work. I lose all my refrig compressors, Dish Machine, Lift Pumps, exhaust fan etc etc.
All my 3-phase equipment, and half of my 120 VAC equipment too. So I am forced to pull my main breakers so I do not overheat my lift station pumps and burn those out, so a single phase biz can keep on running, but we are forced to shut down.