303 pizzas tonight....

We got our huge order tonight for 303 pizzas and 89 subs. The bad news is our help bailed on us…one was in a car accident (minor) about 2 weeks ago and still isn’t up to coming back to work…our other helper called in sick yesterday for tonight…and the others aren’t interested in working midnight to noon…we have one gal who will help us organize but for the most part it will be just hubby and I. Arghhhh… The good part is we can do the subs early as all the condiments are on the side and served cold…As for the pizzas they are served “cold” so we can bake them throught the night and then load them in the u haul. Thank goodness it is freezing here so we can keep em cold in the u haul…hopefully they won’t freeze.

We had quite a few more last year so I think we will be okay…the hard part is actually cutting them…you wouldn’t believe how sore your fingers get cutting.

Wish us well

Kris

nice, congratulations! who orders that much food tough??

Wow, now that is a nice order! I did 72 yesterday and that took 45 minutes with 6 people. Good luck, drink lots of caffeine. :smiley:

Oh. My. God.

I go into vapor lock trying to think through the math of how long that would take me and 1 person to complete. 300 pies . . . 2 people . . . a pizza oven . . . a bottle of alleve . . . 10 to 12 hours of “gutting a hog”.

We’re doing 1337 pies on Feb 12th. This client has ordered as much as 1900 at a time in the past.

9 Crew members ( 2 cases of energy drinks )
3 Middleby ovens ( cook time 6.5 hrs )
1 26’ Truck ( deliver by 8:00 am )
We start at Midnight and finish at 6:30 am

Fun times

How do you guys keep the pizzas hot and fresh? While finished pizzas are out, arent there pizza that still havent been made yet?

I am guessing the answer is: “You don’t”. Kris’ client serves the pizza cold. I would not guarantee 1300 pies to be hot and fresh, either. Provide handling and reheating/refreshing instructions.

There is no " Hot and Fresh " with an order that size. These pizzas are delivered to prsion inmates. We cook them all night, deliver them at 8:00am. The prisoners get them around 2:00pm. Most of the prisoners order several pizzas and eat them over the next several days. They love the pizzas, I’m like a rock star when I roll into facilty. One time years ago they contracted with another company and almost had riots in the joint.

I love that. “Pizza change incites prison riot”

What are the margins on an order like that? I suspect they get a DEEP discount, right?

1337 ? awsome i remember my 1337 days.

come on i cant be the only Geek here

sheb

I use a doublestack lincoln 1400, and we figured out this formula for how long it would take to cook a large order, assuming a 5 min cook time and 14" pizzas

Number of pizzas, divided by 8, times 6, plus 6, then if using both decks, divide by 2

this will give you a pretty close estimate in minutes on how long it would take to bake the pizzas.

Yep you are the only leet geek. :slight_smile:

Ours is to a prison too, gotta love America. Man I could not imagine 1300 pizzas actually it would not be possible for us it would take days to cook that many. Could you imagine if they had come back with that many…laughing just thinking about it…luckily ours is a smaller prison.

They do get a discount, this year it was a bigger one than normal cuz one of our competitor’s got word and tried to out bid us. Next year we won’t discount so much and if we are out bid then so be it.

They take them cold cuz by the time the prisoner’s get them they all have been checked over with a fine tooth comb but never fear we live in america and each cell has their own microwave. :wink:

Kris

I discount 300 pizzas for a customer less than I would 80 pizzas. 80 pizzas would not require bringing in an extra person to prep, extra people to make and deliver other than myself, and maybe my wife. Not only do my wife and I have to be there to do 300 pizzas, an extra 300 lbs of flour needs to be turned into dough, extra cheese diced, extra sauce preped ect ect but I need to bring in as many people as possible as we are trying to serve these hot and fresh. Sometimes these come with only a couple days notice so I can’t order the extra food ect to be delivered so I need to go pick it up. The more headaches involved, the less of a discount. If they choose to order them from someone else, so be it. They’ll find out why I told them we were the only place in town that would handle it.

I use a doublestack lincoln 1400, and we figured out this formula for how long it would take to cook a large order, assuming a 5 min cook time and 14" pizzas

Number of pizzas, divided by 8, times 6, plus 6, then if using both decks, divide by 2

this will give you a pretty close estimate in minutes on how long it would take to bake the pizzas.

For those that want a calculator for different sized conveyor ovens or different speeds or pizza sizes here’s a link:

http://www.pizzapartner.com/element.php … 79&SessId=

Wow…303? The most we’ve done since taking over the show is 60 12" for a football team…I couldn’t imagine pulling of the 1337 status. How do you get that contract anyway?

THATS WAY COOL!!! I THINK THE LARGEST PARTY ORDER I WORKED ON WAS OUT OF THE REDMOND, WASHINGTON DOMINO’S PIZZA. MICROSOFT ORDERED 6000 PIZZA’S FOR SOME COMPANY-WIDE PICNIC THEY WERE HAVING, IT WAS SUCH A BIG ORDER THAT WE RAN IT OUT OF THREE STORES EACH STORE MADE 2000 PIZZA’S. IT WAS A BUSY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

OTHER THAN THAT, THE ANNUAL COMPETITION IN MYRTLE BEACH EVERY SPRING BREAK IS A FUN ONE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE LAST ONE I ATTENDED WAS IN 2002 WE SOLD OVER $90K IN SALES IN ONE WEEK, ALL $5 PIZZA’S!!! IT WAS LIKE TWO TO THREE THOUSAND PIZZA A DAY, IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE THOUGH THE STORE WAS OPEN 24/7 AND WE PRETTY MUCH MAINTAINED ABOUT 200 TO 300 PIE HOURS CONSISTENTLY.

OHH! AND WORKING FOR DOMINO’S PIZZA AT THE INDIANAPOLIS 500 WAS COOL TOO $55K IN THREE DAYS!!! CRAZY DAYS!!!

I AM SO OVER $5 PIZZA, MY AVERAGE PRICE PER PIE IS $20.

Sweet deal! Good luck! This is one of those times that you feel so good AFTER it is done!
Take 10 minutes to pat yourself on the back, then get back to business.
Think the phrase “be careful what you ask for…” might apply?
You’ll be making pizza in your sleep for a week! :lol:

The margin on our prison order is really good now. I increased the price last spring on the order beacause of the high cheese, flour and Pepperoni prices at the time. Now with cheese prices down it looks like we are going to run about 30% food cost on the order. Historically we have run about 40%. Labor is 8 to 10% and I give the manager about $600 to $800 bonus. We’ll make about 50% profit on this order. The last one we made about 25% because of the high food cost.