AC & Heat (HVAC)

We have an electric Heat Pump. Shop is cold in winter for customers and to hot in the summer. We have a roof top unit bringing in fresh air ( make up). All that does is blow hot air into the building in summer and colder air in winter. HVAC cant make up for it.
My question is how do you fix this?
Make up air that has seperate HVAC???
Install seperate Mini Splits???
Thanks

You have to have a lot of HVAC to compensate for the make up air. We are basically in the desert and need 1.5 tons per 100 square feet of kitchen space. You can get conditioned make up air systems but they will cost you a good 30K.

We never use make up air units in pizza shops. We use compensating hoods That bring the outside make up air directly in to the hood where it is exhausted not into the room.
We couple that with an a/c system
of normal size .

George, now that makes sense. I sent my phone number if you could call me. If you did not get it please let me know.
Thank you

George, In front of the pizza hood are two vents in the ceiling bringing in fresh air. Would it be better to cut two openings in the front of the hood and run the ducked work right into the hood? So the air is blowing inside the hood system.
Thanks

How did you sen the phone number, I have not seen it?

You might try that but the hoods usually designed for that type operation in order to accept the large influx of air with out it spilling out around the edges of the hood.

George Mills

What type of AC do you have? Split system or package unit?

Assuming package unit, put an economizer on it and set up your thermostat to always have the fan running when the hood is on. That will provide fresh air, conditioned automatically when needed.

Thanks everyone

Assuming package unit, put an economizer on it and set up your thermostat to always have the fan running when the hood is on. That will provide fresh air, conditioned automatically when needed. that could work if the units supply enough air to compensate for the exhaust. Rather costly to operate as the conditioned air will be rapidly exhausted out the hood.
George Mills