Adding a Margarita Pizza

Thinking about adding this to the menu! Does anyone have any tips for preparation? Red sauce, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella is what I had planned on topping it with. We are using a conveyor oven.

1 Like

If you use fresh, sliced tomatoes in your store, try those in place of tomato sauce. Sprinkle some coarse salt on after baking to intensify all those flavors.

todays basil doesnt last very long, or I would have one

Margherita is the most complicated “simple” pizza there is. Its alot of work to essentially sell a fancy cheese pizza.
But if you are set in it

-Use Pesto instead of fresh Basil (fresh basil is hard to manage)

-Use fresh Mozzarella Sliced Thin

-Lay your fresh mozzarella down FIRST, then add your pizza sauce in splotches randomly on the pizza dont over do it

-Add your pesto sporadically for garnish

-I made this at my house its half Margherita half pepperoni

-The pic below was made in a conveyor oven

I usually use the plum whole tomatoes and i add a mozzarella cheese first then add the sauce on the sauce ( but not too much ) then add the fresh mozzarella and don’t forget to sprinkle picorino Romano on the top before you cook the pizza .

1 Like

We use an EVOO base, plum tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, herbs, and add fresh basil after the bake.

The basil is the trick.

Basil turns brown quickly, but brown basil is not necessarily bad basil. Many times its a sign of refrigeration. It looks less than great, but still good and tasty.

At the beginning of each shift, we sort the truly bad basil from the rest. The bad basil gets pitched. You can mask the dark splotches by using a chiffonade cut for your basil, instead of using whole leaf.