Am I paying my employees too much for the work being done?

Re: Am I paying my employees too much for the work being don

A few years after we opened we felt some of the things you talk about. I remember reading somewhere than an owner’s job isn’t to be better than everyone else but to train their staff to be better than them. This principle allows owner’s to have a life outside the biz. It is probably one of the best pieces of advice I have ever learned.

I imagine in your scenario on a busy night you push your staff out of the way and take over. I also imagine when rush is over you take over and start banging out the clean up.

As hard as it is there is an investment with employees. Our job is to TRAIN otherwise we will never be able to surivive. The mentality that you are the only one who can do things correctly is very dangerous and will keep you locked in at 100 hours a week. If we do our jobs everyone should be able to as well.

To have 2-4 employess “not worth mentioning” is crazy. Each and every employee I have is “worth” employment and when we find they are not they are shown the door. A bad apple ruins the whole bunch.

(Had to start a new post something was goofy and wouldn’t let me type)

When we first figured up our “ideal” labor percent we worked it backwards. We stared with 100% (which are the sales) took out fixed costs and what was left was broken up into variable costs. You can run 20% labor all day long but if you food and overhead is off you won’t make money.

We aim for 23% at one store and 24% at the other. (Not including a general manager at each store)

Hands down the best advice ever given…ever! I hired a new pizza maker today and within three hours I was able to leave the shop until closing time(not that I did). As of today, my new focus is going to be, as it should have been, to focus on the training aspect. For the first time, we now have a more than capable staff, and it makes all the difference. Things are going to be great this season!!!

Simple, find a manager who will be there when you’re not that will demand the same quality… or you find people who will do it regardless of whether you’re there or not. You just have to stay on top of people, let them know your expectations and make it clear. also some recognition and rewards might be nice for work well done.