Another Dough Dr. Question

We’re looking to modify the stromboli process, akin to a Subway/Chipolte cafeteria styled system, but instead of using a tortilla or a sub roll, using a thicker pizza dough concoction that is flexible like a tortilla and can hold hot items and still make a quick trip thru on a conveyor if necessary…

Stromboli’s take 10 minutes or so, so we want to shave off 6-8 minutes…needs to be thicker than a tortilla but still be able to be wrapped…

Dough relaxer & par-baking? Hmmmm…everyone’s thoughts appreciated

Re: Another Dpugh Dr. Question

Patriot;
Why not use something like a wrap? Wraps are much like a pita, but a little thicker. They will have the flexability you’re looking for, and they are available in various sizes to meet most needs. It is nearly impossible to make anything coming close to a good one in a pizzeria due to the specialized oven needed to bake them. Sure, they can be baked in just about any type of oven, but the end result is a product that is severely lacking in flexability. Most wraps are baked at 700+F with a baking time of roughly 28 to 35-seconds. Even after baking, they must be handled correctly to prevent drying out. Damascus Bakery <www.damascusbakery.com> has been at several of the Pizza Expos promoting their wrap products. I’ve tried them and they do work very well. We do a pepperoni roll using the wraps and they’re great. Put a little Mozzarella cheese on the wrap, then add your pepperoni slices and roll-up like a jelly roll, cut into individual rolls about an inch thick, place on edge on an oiled, non-stick baking sheet (I use parchment paper on a sheet pan) and bake until lightly browned and serve.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Doc - thank you for your input…I’ve thought of using a similar product, as I can get a large lavash @ RD that I may experiment with later today…but still don’t believe I’ll get the ‘mouth-feel’ I’m looking for…

But we have been experimenting with the traditional stromboli style of production with some interesting results…

We’re using approx. 10 oz of dough & pinning it out on some cornmeal dusting…(I’m going to try/get/use a small wooden peel for moving down the make-line) and with a finished size of 12"…

We’re folding over the ends and rolling it just so the bottom overlaps…a few slits on top and thru the MM360 for a 9 minute ride…

So far, it been o.k. - hot all the way thru, soft ‘bread-feel’ stuffed bun & browned with a bit of cheese melting thru the slits…

We’ve stuffed some with shredded Mexican style beef, yellow rice & black beans & pico de gaio…some with Italian meats & balsamic vinegarette & lettuce, tomato & onion…(the romaine still holds a little bit of crisp!)…a rueben style with sauerkraut & brown mustard, as well as some traditional pizza items…

The grand experiment continues…

Those sound pretty good!
Tom Lehmann/TDD