Any benefits in cooking spices in water before adding to red

I know some people cook their spices in a gallon of water before adding to the red sauce.

Does this process add to the flavor of the pizza sauce???

pizzaman

Re: Any benefits in cooking spices in water before adding to

I don’t know about that, but I do believe (and I have read) that by crushing dried spices before adding them to whatever you are cooking you will wind up with more flavor.

I mix my dry spices in 2 gallons of hot water before adding them to the red sauce. I try to let the spices sit for at least 10 minutes before adding them. This rehrdrates the dried oregano and basil and adds tons of flavor to the sauce. There is no need to cook them. Try it, it works great!!!

Most pizzerias add dry seasonings directly to the tomatoes and let them infuse overnight in the fridge. But heating seasonings in water may help speed the process. Because the flavor in aromatic seasonings like oregano, pepper, basil, etc are oil based, a potentially more effective way is to briefly heat dry seasonings in olive oil (or other vegetable oil) before stirring through the tomatoes. If a pizzeria is experiencing sauce “gelling” (harmless thickening) or flavor souring, heating seasonings in water or oil prior to adding to the sauce can help prevent either situations.