anyone know of a good paper for cooking pizza in deck oven?

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone out there is cooking their pizza on paper in deck ovens. I went to a pizzeria today and noticed they didnt have any cornmeal on the bottom of their pizza…took a closer look and saw they were preparing their pizzas on what looked like wax paper and then placing the pizzas on the deck with the paper underneath. Crust came out nice and crispy…seems like it would be less mess in the oven. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: anyone know of a good paper for cooking pizza in deck ov

The “paper” is parchment.

We use it for cooking wings in the oven. It keeps the sauce where it belongs!

We also sell our take and bake pies on it so the customer can just slide the pie onto a sheet or screen to bake. I have never heard of anyone using it for cooking pizza in a deck oven in the shop though.

Rookie;
What you saw them using was baker’s parchment paper. Most restaurant suppliers will carry it. You can also buy it in small rolls for testing purposes, at your localk supermarket in the same area where they sell the aluminum foil.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I use parchment paper and I really like it. It’s kind of pricey though at around .08 per sheet, but it beats baking directly on the deck or using screens in my opinion. Keeps the oven clean and never worry about pies sticking to the deck surface.

Are there different qualities of parchment paper? I purchased a roll from my grocery store and cooked a few orders of wings through my conveyor oven. The paper was so brittle upon exiting that there was no way to handle the paper without it breaking into tiny pieces. Is there different temperature tolerances with different papers?

There are different weights. The very lightest weight (also the cheapest) does exactly what you describe. Get the meduim weight paper. It works very well. The heave weight paper is very stiff, and it works well too, but it is too expensive.

Paul - we use a industrial silicone paper in our MM 360 & yes, @ high heat it will become brittle…

We used to use it for our wings as well @ an old shop, but placed 'em on a screen as well, but @ 500+ degrees, it still is a challenge…

We use the medium weight paper to wrap our oven wrapped snadwiches in (if you were at the NAPICS show last year you might have seen Jeff and I making these), after the sandwiches are baked (465F for 5.5-minutes) we unwrap the sandwiches from the parchment paper and serve. The paper is only slightly brittle, and generally doesn’t break apart like the lighter weight paper will.