Anyone Use Bromated Flour?

I read recently that bromated flour is recommended for thick crust pizza as it aids in giving better rise to the crust. Can anyone attest to this?

Bromated flour is bad, very very bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_bromate

I use AllTrumps flour, and yes, it is bromated, but only @ 50 parts per million I believe…understand it bakes out…haven’t lost a customer yet!

“It is typically used as a flour improver (E number E924), strengthening the dough and allowing higher rising. It is an oxidizing agent, and under the right conditions, will be completely used up in the baking bread. However, if too much is added, or if the bread is not cooked long enough or not at a high enough temperature, then a residual amount will remain”

That’s the definition I pulled down from the web via Dewar.

I’m sure there’s plenty of reasons why many countries have banned it completely, and why the fda strongly urges people not to use it. That’s enough reason for me to be scared and not use anything related to it.

Politicians typically have their own motives for their laws and regulations so I am never quick to assume anything by what they say or do.

Anyway, I just talked to my sales rep today and he said it cannot be sold in California. He also said a lot of the flour out there now is using absorbic acid as an ingredient to accomplish the same thing.