Anyone using a Hobart HCM-450 Mixer?

My mixer search has led me to the Hobart HCM-450 due to space considerations. I’d like to hear about experiences with this mixer. With half pound dough balls for 12" pies and an average of 100 pies a day I’m guessing I’ll be making 2 batches per day in a 45 qt mixer…

TIA,

Shack

None of our accounts use that type unit for mixing dough. No professional baker that I know of would use that type unit for mixing dough.

Years ago that type mixer was adopted by one of the major chains and they quickly developed the reputation of having cardboard crusts.

Our clients prefer to mix dough slower for a less tough result.

George Mills

I use the H-450 for diceing cheese only. I use a V-1401 for mixing dough. As far as using these type of mixers for mixing dough, they are not the least bit forgiving. Too much water or too much flour and you are SOL. With a 90 second mix time there is no time to correct it. I would highly reccomend looking further into finding room for a 80qt or larger hobart planetary mixer to mix your dough with. I really don’t think it takes up that much more floor space.

I used a VCM for 6 of the last 7 years. They work great for dough. As Paul said, you should weigh out your ingredients with an accurate scale. 2 minutes later you’ll have a perfect batch of dough. As to what George said (and I don’t think he’s ever made a batch of dough in a VCM)
that chain doesnt have crappy dough because they use a vcm, it’s because of their handling of the dough after it’s mixed - They put it uncovered on sheet pans in the walk till it’s crusty, run it through a dough sheeter, put it in a pan for a while (usually saucing and cheesing it ahead of time) before making the pizza.
The disadvantage of using a VCM is that you have to use active dry yeast instead of instant, so you need a thermometer and your dough comes out of the mixer a little warm so get your dough into the walk-in after you roll it. Clean up is easy and getting the dough out of the mixer is a whole lot easier.

Paul

As to what George said (and I don’t think he’s ever made a batch of dough in a VCM).

Response: You are correct I do not make dough nor do I bake pizza. I do have daily contact with pizza operators and have talked to thousands of them. I only report what those operators tell me.

That chain doesnt have crappy dough because they use a vcm, it’s because of their handling of the dough after it’s mixed - They put it uncovered on sheet pans in the walk till it’s crusty, run it through a dough sheeter, put it in a pan for a while (usually saucing and cheesing it ahead of time) before making the pizza.

Response I would note that I was an ardent fan of that groups pizza, Loved it until they started using the vcm. Perhaps they started handling the dough differently after switching to the vcm.

We have had many operators try vcm units as they are fast. None of our clients continue to use that type mixer.

George Mills

George,
Come on by and I’ll show how to make good dough with a VCM. I do every day. I make pizza dough and I make my own bread. I would be willing to bet I couldn’t make a decent batch in a planetary mixer. But I bet just as with a VCM I could learn.
Al

Hi Al:

Thanks for the invitation, sounds like it would be fun, but as I said I don’t mix dough.

I am sure you are correct and that using the proper technique excellent dough can be prepared with the VCM. Guess none of our clients know how to do it or just never tried.

George

George,
Can you say the company you work for?
Al

Hi Al:

I try not to appear to be using the forum for advertising so I do not put my company affiliation on my posts.
I have sent you a private message.
George Mills