AQUESTION FOR DR TOM

in your bake to rise pizza dough recipe you are using baking soda Baking Soda Sodium Aluminum Phosphate is that differnt from baking powder and is the differnce that baking soda activates only under high temp vs baking powder that start working as soon as you put it in the dough? by
using baking soda Sodium Aluminum Phosphate are we effecting the yeast function thank you for your answer

Why are you using baking power/soda in a recipe that has yeast? Typically baking powder/soda is used in quick bread recipies like muffins and some cakes. Yeast is used in dough recipies like pizza dough and bread.

…I think it is about a take n bake formula…

For some insights on take-and-bake pizza doughs, including chemical leavening systems, see this article by Tom Lehmann:

http://www.pmq.com/mag/2002spring/tom_lehmann.shtml

thank you pizzanerd allways a great help

Tom,

While on this subject, it is possible to use a chemical leavening system like WRISE in dough that is cold fermented in dough ball form for a few or more days and then formed into skins? The idea would be to get more of the flavors of long fermentation and possibly better dough inventory control and management.

while I’m not Tom, I have experimented a bit w/WRISE for my TnB operation yrs ago…never really liked it enough to completely switch from par baked shells to that formula…

the crumb texture of the dough is different than a yeast raised product…it takes a bit of getting used to for old pie guyz like me…

the “best” recipe we developed (for a special oven/application) was one that used both yeast (for flavor) and WRISE for rise-in-the-oven…

have fun, experiment…some day I’ll tell you the secret to make it taste as good as a fully raised yeast dough (from what I learned in Biscuit Making 101)

Pizzanerd;
The Wrise product (fat encapsulated blend of baking soda and sodium aluminum phosphate) is very effective when combined with yeast in the dough formula. The yeast provides the dough conditioning and the flavor while the Wrise has very little reaction before going to the oven, so it then reacts, generating carbon dioxide to further leaven the dough. This is an effective way to make a T&B pizza that will still be able to rise in the oven, even after the consumer has abused the pizza beyond all reasonable expectations. For example, freezing of a T&B pizza is not a good thing for the consumer to do, but it does happen, and al too frequently, I might add. I know, I get calls from consumers asking me if they can do it. With just yeast as the leavening, these doughs/crusts typically fail to rise as much as would be desired, but with the Wrise in it, they will still rise to an acceptable height, making for a positive consumer experience with the product, rather than a disappointing one, besides, when the consumer brings the pizza back to you saying “It didn’t rise” what are you going to do? Admonish the consumer by saying they shouldn’t have abused the pizza in that way? Just read the label, it says do not freeze! Or, will you politely explain their wrong doing and give them another pizza? With the high cost of customers today, I know what I’d do. The Wrise just reduces the chances or frequency of this scenario taking place. Does it affect the flavor of the finished crust? Yes it does to some extent, yes, especially if too much is used. Typically, the higher sugar levels used in T&B doughs do a pretty good job of masking any of the flavors though. We demonstrated these types of doughs at our last pizza seminar and baked them off to evaluate the flavor, we all agreed that it was not the same as a yeast only leavened crust, but it was also agreed that it was not objectionable, it was just a little different. If you make a chemically leavened crust only, without any yeast, it will taste decidedly different and have a crumb structure more like that of pound cake than pizza crust, but that’s an entirely different product than we’re discussing here.
Tom Lehmann/the Dough Doctor

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I do have a question.:oops:
I am not familiar with this product or with Take and Bake Dough.
Realizing of course that everyones tastes very, what is a good
combination/recipe that contains Wrise? I notice in the recipe bank
that in the “bake to rise” recipe you recommend baking soda and
aluminum phosphate. Are these good for a take and bake crust?

Scroll down a little further in the dough recipes/formulas and you will see my all purpose take and bake dough formula showing the use of coated leavening. This is the Wrise product. Wrise is a fat encapsulated blend of soda and sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP) tony@wenrich.com. Like I’ve said before, we use the Wrise product in our pizza seminars, with essentially the same dough formula that I’ve got posted in the RECIPE BANK and we have very good success with it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor