autolyse and effect on dough, lilian, Charles, Tom

I have experimented with the autoclyse technique without a verifiable difference.

Now, I am mixing the flour, water, and IDY for a few minutes before adding salt.
I do not use oil or sugar, so after the salt, I am done.

Do oyu think this technique yeilds any advantage /

Otis

Re: autolyse and effect on dough

autolys according to it’s inventor Raymond Calvel helps in reducing the time of mixing by 15%. what are you trying to do ?
here is how i do one of my dough and it produces a great flavor but i do not get enough oven spring from but since i am doing a thin crust i do not need the big oven spring big oven rise
100% h glutin
0.0125% idy
65% water
2.2% salt
0.5% oil

i mix the oil and salt with the water , (most people add the oil later in the mixing process)
then i add the flour the yeast , mix it using pedal(beater) till everthing come together ,. then use the hook and mix it for 4 minutes only,
you may use a spatula to work the dough in the hook ( i do not know if you can do that since you have the gaurd on your mixer) i use kitchen aid mixer . anyways mix it for 4 minutes only and let it ferment at room temp (75/78) for 8 hours bulk fermentation , after 8 hours divid and form dough balls let it set for 1 hour and 30 m to 2.00 hours before using
this method has produced a very flavorfull crust , but again it can only work with thin crust
and if you look at the color of the crust you can notice that the color is much darker then the normaly proccessed dough which has been mixed for a long time, and that is the effect of oxidation that Raymond Calvel talks about in his book the taste of bread .
when you mix the dough for a long time oxidation turns the dough /crust color into a white color and effect the flavor to a certain degree
i hope i am helping and not adding more confusion TY

my formula is similar
12.5% protein flour (White Chief Hi gluten from Cereal
62% water
2.75% salt
.45% IDY

…just want great crust and pleased with results I get…
also, want to eliminate as many time/temp variables a possible…

I make it the day before, coat with oil and refrigerate,
or make about 3 hours before using, coat with oil just after balling…when making and using the same day without refrigeration, normally use within 3 hours after the 3 hour fermentation time off the mixer…
I usually make a fresh batch in the morning…use some refrigerated batch that I pull from the refrigerator around 3 hours before use, to bring to room temperature…
…so I am using a combination of fresh and refrigerated…spreads out the batches I do
am making about 75 pizzas per day now…

…I suspect your flour has more protein than mine since you hydrate at 65%…

Otis

Otis do you think your salt is high? my flour is all trumps i think it is in the 13/14 range

my salt is higher than most pizza dough, more toward the level of artisan bread…
I do not use sugar or oil, so it is more like artisan bread also

my sauce is lightly salted and seasoned, so I look to the balance of the crust, tomatoes and cheese.
salt and sugar affects fermentation, sugar makes it last longer…my dough formula will not last in the refrigerator as long as formulas with sugar, specially above 3%

All Trumps has the most protein level available, think it is 14.4 -+.3%

…we can all do it differently…that one thing that makes this business fun.

Otis

TY Otis
so who makes White Chief?
i like the fact that you are not putting oil in your dough flour,salt ,yeast, water oil can mask the bread flavor .

so who makes White Chief?

Cereal Foods, processed in LA, CA

pm me your e-mail and I will forward you the specs…they are not on their web site,

Otis

Otis
try king arthur if it is available to you , they have bread flour and high glutin flour
Sir lancelot is the name of their HG flour . I like king arthur flour