Avg delivery radius

Searched archives, no answer. What is a good average delivery radius?

I live ~10 miles from a good joint but they won’t deliver. I’m guessing, 10mi.

K

5-7 miles

5 miles

Depends on the area. The determining factors are traffic, density and ease of getting there and back.

Our is 2-3 miles.

5 miles
1.00 per mile after that

3 miles. Longer than that runs into huge time contraints for our shop in peak hours.

we go by a time, say if on average it takes ten minutes then that is our delivery area. after that we have a few highend subdivisions on the bay we deliver to for more delivery charge ( they dont mind if the spend 500k on a weekend home in this area when average homes are 70-80, they dont mind at all). primo

We go by time. It’s not like you can draw a circle around your shop and claim that to be your delivery area. We established ours by driving during peak rush hour in every direction for 8 minutes. Where ever we ended up was the limit to our area.

I’d say the average radius for us is 6 miles.

I think it really depends on your area. In the middle of a metro area you have higher density customers and more traffic so a smaller geographic footprint. In our area, we on the edge of a town of about 100,000 and we decided to go 12 miles. Yeah, it’s a hike but it’s completely unserved - absolutely no one goes there so we own the market. It’s non-advertised, no effort on our part and makes up about 30% of our business. Sometimes they have to wait an hour to hour and 20 but to them, it’s worth it. We do charge $3 delivery and did upgrade our bags to ensure their orders are hot when they get them.

However, the other 70% is 6 miles or less. We do like those better :smiley:

You can’t go by a radius in many areas. You need to consider factors of geography and traffic and what your market looks like.
If I go 2 miles West I cover 95% of the potential market before you hit wasteland. If I go 2 miles East, I leave a massive residential concentration just a few minutes farther wtih no good competitor serving them.

Even that varies by market. It can take 8 minutes to get three blocks in some downtown locations…

Time is much more important than distance.

It’s probably best for labor and service if your drivers never take more than 20 minutes round-trip on any single delivery (worst case, single run to the far edge of the area, no other deliveries going that direction–8-9 minutes there, a few minutes to make the delivery, 8-9 minutes back).

You’ve got to pay $3 or more in labor/taxes, plus whatever you pay for vehicle reimbursement, when a driver is gone for 20-25 minutes. If it’s a only a $15 order, it’s not worth it for a driver to be gone longer.

I’ve noticed that a lot of Pizza Hut and Domino’s stores in my metro area are closing and consolidating delivery areas. They’re fools, if you ask me. Poor food that’s hardly inexpensive and ever-worsening service to boot? No wonder they can’t seem to reverse their slide into mediocrity.

I’m in a dense metro area and only go about 2 miles. But I agree with the others, time is most important. Don’t forget about rivers or railroad tracks. If there’s only one bridge that will slow you down and a train could kill your Friday night service.