bakers pride vs. blodgett

I have a mid sized location (18 tables/booths)and looking to get into the delivery and take out business with a small satellite location at the other end of town- 1200 sqft with 6 tables. mainly for delivery and take out. I currently use a bakers pride y602 but am looking to get in this location with a used oven with a small outlay of cash (it was an existing wing restaruant and has a large vent hood and other equip.

Q1 how is a blodgett compared to bakers pride and would anyone recommend it (we make thin crust, ny pizza)

Q2 any tips for going up against a strong papa johns and an average pizza hut in the delivery marketplace???

quote=“pizza33”]
Q1 how is a blodgett compared to bakers pride and would anyone recommend it (we make thin crust, ny pizza)
[/quote]

Maybe look for my recent posts on this subject… It’s finially over for us and we bought a stack of cosmedicly damaged Y600’s for $10,000.

You have to look at the BTU’s of the two ovens to make a good comparison. The Y600’s and the Blodgett 1000 series ovens are 120,000 btu. There are lots of others out there used but you must check the specs to see if they will work for you. What we found is that restored 600’s or 1060’s are $4,000/deck and $1,000 for shipping. You can probably beat these prices if you try hard but we ran out of time and are actually glad to have new equipment. The design of the equipment hasn’t changed much or at all. Our Blodgett 981 from 1958 appears to be exactly the same as a new one although there must be some small changes.
So if you can find old equipment, buy it. The rehab is easy. After I restored the 981 from sand blast to paint, it was/is a perfectly working unit- just under powered for our operation. Good luck, C.

All of the Blodgetts I have owned have absolutely sucked. I consulted for a franchise that had a few Blodgett ovens approved, and the stores that put them in had constant problems. That was the first direct experience I had with them, and previous to that they were (are) well known for having the doors fall off.

A 1985 model? I can only wonder when the door will fall off and crush your feet if it hasn’t already.

Stay away from the junk ovens blodgett puts out.

We had 2 blodgetts for 20 years without a problem before we needed more capacity…never had bakers pride so I dont know about them, but I can say that my experience Blodgetts have been GREAT!

My Blodgett is working fine and going strong. Not sure what model year, but it is certainly beyond 10 years old. Doors give no problems at all. Perhaps regular maintanence is a key to keeping these things going?

Mine is the 981 model as well, and not at all a pizza deck . . . but gets us by with our current volume. When we get going bigger as we build more business, we’ll outgrow the 981 baking deck and relegate it to bakery items and roasting meats as it was intended. We even have a room we can dedicate to an oven room one day.

Anybody know why these oven prices have gone up so substantially in the past 3 years? Three years ago I got my 1060 double-stack for $10,000 delivered. Researching for a new store, I found the same company is now selling them for $16,000. A 60% increase in 3 years!?

On topic, both of the 1060’s we received had problems. One had to be completely replaced (at Blodgett’s expense).

The metal bar on the door hinge on both of them warped when heated for the first time. They curved outward so much that one of the ovens had the door stuck SHUT with no chance of getting it opened. As we got busier in our first few weeks, we could no longer run on one oven. So Blodgett gave us the OK to do whatever necessary to get it open. We opened it with a crowbar, breaking the hinge wheel off in the process.

That made it work, but only on one hinge. Blodgett eventually replaced that entire oven. However, it took them a year to get it done and the problem happened 30 minutes after the first light.

Blodgett said it was a known issue, and the new oven didn’t have any sign of problems. I’m guessing they had a bad batch of steel make its way to the hinges.

The other oven’s hinges seemed to work their way back into shape and were OK.

Besides that, the large door spring broke on both of them after only 10 months or so. That is a dangerous situation, as the door comes FLYING open without that spring on there. Repair on one of those took a month, though that’s more the fault of the warranty shop here.

Both ovens also needed stones replaced after less than six months. Three of them developed sags and then eventually cracked.

In Blodgett’s defense, both ovens have been running perfectly for almost 2 years now

Anybody know why these oven prices have gone up so substantially in the past 3 years? Three years ago I got my 1060 double-stack for $10,000 delivered. Researching for a new store, I found the same company is now selling them for $16,000. A 60% increase in 3 years!?

My take on the situation. Middleby Purchased the Blodgett company nuf said.

George Mills

Maybe look for my recent posts on this subject… It’s finially over for us and we bought a stack of cosmedicly damaged Y600’s for $10,000.

You have to look at the BTU’s of the two ovens to make a good comparison. The Y600’s and the Blodgett 1000 series ovens are 120,000 btu. There are lots of others out there used but you must check the specs to see if they will work for you. What we found is that restored 600’s or 1060’s are $4,000/deck and $1,000 for shipping. You can probably beat these prices if you try hard but we ran out of time and are actually glad to have new equipment. The design of the equipment hasn’t changed much or at all. Our Blodgett 981 from 1958 appears to be exactly the same as a new one although there must be some small changes.
So if you can find old equipment, buy it. The rehab is easy. After I restored the 981 from sand blast to paint, it was/is a perfectly working unit- just under powered for our operation. Good luck, C.
[/QUOTE]

Crispin,
I would like to repaint my double stack of Blodgett 981s. Can you tell me how you painted your oven?