boneless wings

Does anyone use boneless wings? or do you sell either? Had some boneless today that were fantastic, wondering if I should add or replace tenders with them. How do you guys do it?
Kay

what the H*@# is a boneless wing anyway? Thigh meat…

Wings are Wings…McNuggets are McNuggets…

We also go thru 40# of fresh jumbo tenders every 2/3 days…

do you use mozz cheese w/fillers?

Me? I prefer real food…no McRibs @ my place!!!

Short cuts have a place in this industry, but keep them within reason

Actually, the product I use is whole muscle white meat breaded. Good product, and I use it in addition to tender fritters. Some customers prefer the extra breading you get with the smaller pieces . . . holds more wing sauce that way :slight_smile:

Kay,
I sell 25 , 40 lb boxes of fresh tenders a week. I also sell wings but only 6 , 40 lb cases.
My tenders are clipped fresh jumbo chicken tenders , I flour then fry, then toss them in wing sauce.
I sell orders of 6,12,24,48,100. Superbowl I sell 25 cases in 1 day.I’ve seen other places strip out chicken br**st,
but the tender are more uniform in size, and no extra labor. paid $1.29 a pound today.Hope that helps.
What

What, when you say clipped does that mean there is no trimming involved. We make our own cutlets using fresh random breasts, but for our boneless wings and chicken tenders use frozen chicken fritters. I am sure there is no comparison in taste to your fresh tenders, but I am not sure the labor cost would justify the added increase in sales.
Thanks

Clipped- The end of the tender is clipped off, where a piece of cartilage is. The cartilage is very small, but it’s like a piece of rubber.
I use to clean random chicken bre*st, then I found that I could use the tenders instead. No tremming , I just pound flat.
I bread them for chicken parm, I grill them for Grilled Chicken, I flour them and fry- for buffalo tenders, I put them on salads.
What :twisted:

Boneless wings are a fast growing item and also can relieve the price pressure of fresh wings…whatever their made out of who cares…put your own preferance aside and focus on what customers want. Boneless wings are easy, clean, fun, and you’ll love the food cost compared to some higher rising items…
so silly.

It is my understanding that boneless wings have a different breading on them that handles saucing better. Other then that, it is basically a tender.

The ones I sampled were white meat, breading comparable to my fritters, but so juicy. Tyson brand. I don’t sell alot of fritters, mostly kids. I figured if I switched to these, I could go either way, we get people asking for boneless wings, and the other franchises like me are selling this brand. When they said they were selling alot of them, Im thinking of giving it a try. The taste of these Id rather have than the fritters.

the reason they are “juicy” is they’re “pumped” w/salt water…

there is a place in some operations for fake items like that, just as those who choose to use a lesser quality of cheese w/questionable fillers…

you can buy various qualities of steak for philly meat as well…

I prefer to use a decent quality for all my products across the board and I choose not to “follow the crowd” jumping on all the bandwagons that pass by…

I choose quality as my marketing statement…

Our 1st store is an “economy” store w/great volume…

Our 2nd store is building volume, @ higher prices, and we’re making better $$$ than the 1st…

go figure…

boneless wings are indeed becoming more popular…some people like that their is no bone…I would consider having both “bone in” wings and boneless wings
at least try it for 2-3 weeks as a special
consider selling them by a half pound and a #
good luck
negative feedback from others I noticed - try it…you my add to your tickets ($$$$) when taking orders

Man, no prejudice there :slight_smile: We do want to know how you really feel, though.

In upscale operations, that same word, ‘plumped’, when used with poultry and pork is called ‘brining’ and commands an incredible following. Expands the window of error in cooking time, seasons the meat thoroughly and provides a meatier texture that surveyed diners overwhelmingly prefer. When applied to a food service prebreaded item, it becomes a dirty word.

Fake is not at all what I have in my shop. What I do have is a pre-breaded, whole muscle chunk of white meat chicken that I fry for 4 minutes out of the freezer, and sell to lots of customers who simply will not eat wings. I know lots of places prefer to use raw ingredients/materials for as much of their food as they can. I made a decision to draw the line at chicken boneless wings things. I use fresh-never frozen wings and choose to go the prebreaded route. I sampled nearly 8 varieties, and come to this one for balance of breading, seasoning, quality of the meat. It is not the cheapest one I could find, but a mid-range.

If needs be . . . . I will stand proudly and proclaim I use a ‘fake’ chicken bite. I see no need since it is not a minced and reformed nugget. Whole muscle chunk = not fake in my personal 2800 sq feet heated.

Fresh Tenders are fantastic sellers. I did it the same way except we had 40 LBs for tenders in one marinade and 40 LBs for grilled/charred/pizza in another marinade at all times. Lightly pounded and layered. The marinade acted as a coating and put into two parts flour, one part clam fry with 9 spices for the tenders.

PD

guys, how does it exactly work? how thin do you have to pound them? aren’t they become chicken cutlet looking? also is it a good idea to cut every
tender in 2 to get 2 long thiner strips so it’s cookes faster and looks like more chicken? and when do you bread them? if ahead of time - how long can they wait to be fried, from my experience if breaded chicken left not frozen the breading gets soggy and chicken looks burned after its cooked. and if you bread it to order - how does this work for you in rush hours? i am currently using southern style chicken fritters by Townsend(Speedy bird) and i would recomend it to everybody who doesn’t want to deal with raw chicken. but its not smth i am proud of, so if anybody can help me with using fresh tenders as boneless wings, i d really apreciate it.

I only pound the tenders for sandwiches or dinners. I only use speedy bird for chicken fingers & ff. I don’t cut the tenders & just price them at 28% food cost.I just flour & fry, toss in wing sauceand put a side of b/c & celery.
The tenders I bread for Chicken Cutlet subs & dinners, I pound, then bread, layer with wax paper so they don’t get soggy. I get 3-4 days before they get soggy. What

thank you for your reply, i am going to try fring them just like you said, but whats on my mind is - i know how busy it gets sometimes, and my place is preaty small, i am not ever sure where i can put a bin with flour, so its going to be tricky to flour every order of tenders to order, and thats what you do from what i understand, you also very busy on wings, is there any shortcuts, ? like breading them say to last through next 30 min? man, i am not triing to be avoid work , just make things smouth on crazy dinner rushes.

I have a single door reach-in next to 4 fryers. The flour is in the same size plastic tub the tender are in.We stack them with the flour on top of the tenders in the reach in. When a order comes in the fryer person puts on a glove, then takes the flour out,then counts the raw chicken into the flour , flours them with his hand, then puts them in fryer basket.He puts flour back in reach-in ,takes off the glove, drops chicken basket in fryer. Money in the bank. My wings are not breaded or floured, I par-bake them in the pizza oven, then fry to order. Saves time. What

With respect to my response, yes, it is labor intensive and you need to be set up for a rush. Directly to the right of my fryers was a small prep table and beside that was a freezer with all my portioned frozens. Tenders were there as we went through them so fast, there wasn’t time for them to freeze. On the table sat the spiced flours with a sifter. Backup included two more fish buckets of the spiced flour in the walk-in.

Every tender was individually floured - it requires a “chicken guy” as we put it at least Thursday thru Saturday night. That chicken guy does a lot of other things when trained correctly.

DO NOT FLOUR AHEAD, it will break down the chicken and the breading. It gets crazy but when word of mouth spreads about how fresh you are, guests will wait. Try checking the cost factor as well.

PD

PizzaDiva & What,

Did you dedicate a fryer to the floured chicken as opposed to the rest of your menu…is it me or does it break down the oil much worse than the breaded items.

We currently bread our fresh cutlets but I am going to test out some floured tenders next week…it cannot be any worse that our calamari that we batter in flour with buttermilk to order (biggest pain of our entire menu, but nothing else comes close)

Freshly floured and/or breaded raw products are murder on oil longevity. Absolutely murder. they can give a great finished product, but do hit the oil kinda hard.