calif. pizza shops: charge sales tax on delivery fees y/n?

Just curious, are you California businesses charging sales tax on delivery charges? I am confused about whether or not it applies to deliveries. The California State Board of Equalization’s code isn’t clear to me from reading it.

Re: calif. pizza shops: charge sales tax on delivery fees y/

we do not charge tax on delivery I was told by my accountant that it is not taxable because it is a service not a product.

I was told by my accountant that it is not taxable because it is a service

Primetime,

Delivery IS a service. I’m not trying to dis you or anything, but your accountant is mistaken. -J_r0kk

Here in Florida, a service is not taxable unless a product is provided with it. If I call a refrigeration tech to fix my walkin cooler his hourly rates are not taxable unless he sells me parts. If he provides even a $5 part, I now pay sales tax on both the part and his labor. From this perspective, it would seem that the delivery fee would be taxable here in florida, because the pizza is being provided with it.

J_R0kk: You need to remember that he’s in California, where pretty much everything is taxed to pay for their massive welfare state.

Mike,

I’ll tell you what. That state is so weird. It’s almost like another country over there. Where else would you vote a movie star into the governor’s mansion? -J_r0kk