Can folks tell from the road you sell pizza?

I took a road trip last week and as I often do, I looked for an indy pizza shop along the way…I had stopped for gas and asked for directions to a local pizza shop…Even with good directions I had a hard time finding the place…Because the canopy said it was a clothing store (previous tenant) and the neon “pizza” sign was off…The owner told me the latter was to save power and he could not afford new lettering on the canopy…I had a great pizza and ranted a bit about marketing…Hopefully once the shock of my harsh words wears off, he will realize I meant well…I also told him about Think Tank…

This was one of my biggest concerns when we were building out. Our “icon/logo” is basically a slice of pizza in a circle. We bought the biggest lit blade sign we could afford so that folks could see it from all around. It’s like the old axiom - you can’t afford to NOT advertise…

I’m takeout an delivery only and mostly delivery but I’m very visible from one direction of one of the busiest roads in town and somewhat visible from the other direction. I have a 2+ foot by 18 foot sign on my building visible from one direction as well as a 1+ foot by 10 foot sign on both sides of our shopping center sign which face both directions. To add to my visibility, I have a neon “pizza” sign in the window. Our drivers car signs also draw attention to the parking lot. Probably more noticeable that all of the above is my wrapped Smart Car when it is parked in the right spot. There is one spot in our lot that makes it draw attention no matter what else is parked next to it. Best signage I have, by far.

Never forget how quick you have to be with customers, if it’s not obvious they will simply move on.

We have a pizza and movie rental business. We have 200 dvds on one wall that’s it but its the first thing you see when you look in. The signage shouts pizza, pictures of pizzas everywhere, pavement board with pizza of the month, not to mention the large stainless steel kitchen we stand in front of. Yet we still get customers querying if we do pizzas, it drives me mad.

Need to make it very obvious what you do, people don’t have the patience to work it out.

Blatant Spam here…my brother sells a line of LED scrolling signs…I’ve used 'em at several times @ several locations, with good results…

Its not for everyone, but it is a “silent salesman” that does attract attention, especially when paired with a ‘time’ function…

You can get too carried away with the weird graphics, but a simple sign in the window is a friendly reminder of your daily specials…

Many of these signs have com a long way since I 1st investigated them…better hardware & software and ease of use…

for what is worth…for $2/day (initial lease pmt/cost?)- a decent marketing tool that will last a long time & if used correctly, will pay for itself in no time…

We live in a town that doesn’t allow a-frame signs because they don’t want to diminish he homey feeling of the street and block the walkway. We are fortunate enough to be on the end of a small strip mall and we can be seen from the corner of Main Street. We have decided to park our truck in the first parking stall (I know, it takes up space for the customer) and put an A-frame sign in the back of our truck bed to use as advertising! We have talked to the Vice Mayor (great customer) and she says that since the parking lot is private property, there should be no problem! Gotta do what you gotta do! :lol:

I have a huge sign that says Grasso’s Pizza and the phone number. My dad owned a sign company :lol:

thanks to the City planting trees - No. But all of our new business comes from word-of-mouth, meaning they know we are around there somewhere, so we don’t mind the shade.

So if all your new business comes from word of mouth, you must be missing out on a lot of business…word of mouth is great but it probably misses a large group of potential clients…

We currently have one sign on each side of the building as we are free standing with two large parking lots on each side. We are located in a small downtown area on what many consider to be “Main Street”. When we opened just over a year ago, we were told by the landlord that if we put up any sort of sign lighted or otherwise on the front of the building, we would have to temporarily remove it when they re-did the facade of the building. Not wanting the hassle of having to remove a permanent sign 6 months later, we decided to go with just the signs on the side of the building and get a permanent front sign once they re-did the front. Long story short, they didn’t re-do the facade this summer so we have decided to put up a permanent sign and deal with whatever we have to if and when they decide to start the project. We are still in the process of getting quotes and permits to do so. It is amazing to me how many people come in and say “we never knew you guys were here and I drive past everyday!”. I’m hoping once the front sign goes up we see a huge influx of customers!

Our building was a pizza joint back in the 50’s and they had the entire side of the building painted with their name and phone number, now if only I could get the city to approve that one! :mrgreen:

You may not need city approval to ‘paint’ your building/sign/whatever…

I’ve seen many great murals painted that are indeed eye-catching & serve a marketing purpose…

In most municipalities I’ve seen (and I mean scores of them), signs are regulated. Like our Partiotic friend said . . . .murals are seldom regulated! Geta big ole’ picture of someone eating pizza with your sign conveniently and sizeably in the the background with maybe a phone number on the box? on the “window”? Use the local ordinances to your advantage . . . request at city hall a copy of the artistic mural regulations and watch them stare blankly (I hope).

Since we are located in a “Main Street Community” they have very stringent rules on building appearance in terms of exterior paint color and signage. The city has been investing much time and money into rejuvenating the downtown area and are attempting to streamline the appearance of storefronts to try and give it the main street feel it once had in previous years. Not saying I can’t give it a try though, worst they can say is no! :slight_smile:

15’ from the road stands my 12’X14’ sign. If you can’t see it you must be texting while driving.

Are you in Georgia?
Whatever the regs, negotiating a well-done, period appropriate mural on a blank wall is not a waste of time. Our community has a weak “Better Home Town” kind of intent, and I am familiar with the concepts . . . . there is always a way to get through the seams of the ordinances, or negotiate with the board to achieve your end goals.

I’m sure we are “missing out” on lotsa potential business, but we have plenty as is, so we are happy. We never (lol) lose customers, so the few new ones ensure a slow, steady, growth. We are just a wee bit laid-back…