Can my 3-Phase Mixer be converted?

I have a 3-Phase Hobart 60-quart Mixer and my building I’m looking to go into is only Single Phase and will cost too much to upgrade the building to 3-Phase, so my question is… is there a “converter” or “inverter” or whatever it’s called that I can buy to make my Mixer run on Single Phase?

The Plate on the side of the Mixer body says:
Model H-600
Volts 460
HZ 60
RPM 1725
HP 1.5
Amps 2.5
Phase 3
Temp 40c AMB

BUT the Label on the actual Motor says:

Does anybody have any knowledge on this? Is there a Converter that can fix this problem or can the wires be re-wired a little to change it in any way?


You can buy a 3 ph converter for the mixer. It will boost the single phase to 3 phase. It is better for the mixer when you put a load on it.
I have done this to 2 mixers. Call around to a few electrical supply houses for prices. The whole project, installation included, sholuld be around $500 to $700.


I found a Hobart Phase Converter on EBAY (the link is below): … 53e56f6057

But when I called this guy on the phone, he told me that since my Mixer was 460 Volts that this Converter in the above link WOULDN’T work for my Mixer… but I don’t understand why? Because the plate on the actual motor says 230/460/60/3

I’m confused?

I purchased a 3ph rotary motor & converter box for $750 I believe… its been awhile. Mine is a 7.5hp motor. For comparison, I could run 5 of your “1.5hp” 3 phase mixers on it. Or I can run mine, and any other 3ph device up to a total of 7.5hp of 3ph.

It isn’t just a ‘converter’, you have to generate 3 phase current from a motor then provide that to your device. Hence, you have to “turn-on” the phase converter first. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about, Since mine was manufactured, its a much smaller “box” although the motor seems to be about the same size.

Hope this helps illustrate “converting” single phase to 3-phase.

Since I don’t do electrical for a living, only pizza, I leave that to the professionals. Call an electrician up and have him price out the part and the labor. You will pay a little extra, but the entire project will be warranted. I have found out in the past that by parting out a project, it does not always come out cheaper.

If you want to save a few dollars, go to a supply house with the info off of your mixer and tell the supply house to sell you the converter and then have an electrician put it in. Just be aware that if the converter goes bad, there is no labor warranty from the electrician.