changing mixer voltage

I have a p660 that it rated on data plate at 208-240v 3-ph. My electrician is looking it over and checked inside the top/head at the wiring. We are reviewing the electricity, and he thinks that if we need to, he can make a coupe change inside to the motor wiring so that it will work on 440V. I am really nervous making that sort of change without someone confirming that it is a successfully doable task. I don’t doubt his skill at all, just whether the motor is set to handle the higher voltage without smoking it.

Anyone know about these things?

I’ve posted before about a phase change motor. You can probably get one for around $700 - $800. Once installed, its connected to your in-house power panel, and your mixer is plugged into it. You start it first, then power on your mixer. It takes single phase and converts it to 3 phase. Far better solution than trying to re-wire your motor. Hope this helps.

I appeciate your reminding me about that. For this mixer, it is already 3 phase . . . only looking at changing the voltage to the motor, and not 1to3 or 3to1 phase change.

Thats just it. Get the motor and you don’t have to touch your mixer. Just connect it to the phase motor.

Ooops, so you already have 3 phase power to your building. I’m sure if the manual allows for changing the voltage, ie mine does. Check the name plate on the mixer or motor.

My electric guy says the 440 should be ‘reduced’ via transformer down to 208-240v.

Ok I am so not an electrician but doesnt a 440 3ph have four wires in it? If I remember correct that you do not even need a transformer for this one. Connect a single wire of the 3 hot 440 leads and the neutral ground…and the resulting power is a 240 3ph connection. I might be way off…would someone please correct me or verify this. I thought this change was the easy and cheap but still 100% safe option. Will someone with electrical background please show some insite here. Thanks!

My electric guy says the 3-phase is: 1phase=208, 2nd phase = 120 + 3rd phase = 120 (result=240). That’s why its referred as 208-240v. He says the 440 needs to be ‘stepped down’. If your building is ‘wired’ for 3 phase, then the ‘step down’ occurs at the transformer on the ‘pole.’ If the building was ‘wired’ for 3 phase, the electrician could just connect it into your breaker panel. Else not, you don’t have 3 phase power to your ‘breaker’ box.

IE…, I have one business that has 3 phase power to it. All 3 phase appliances run directly to the breaker panel, the same as 110v appliances and such; no big deal at all.

The other business only has single phase power to it, which is why I needed a ‘roto-phase’ motor to run 3 phase appliances.

The square root of 3 X 240 is the Y-connected, 3 phase voltage. The simple answer is yes, it can be connected to use 440V 3 phase.

(I was an engineer, engineering manager, then factory manager for a large manufacturer of transformers and switchgear for industrial and utilities.)