Cheese Aplicator for Pizza

I was wondering if anyone new of a vendor or distributor that makes a Portion cheese Dispensor for pizza. A fellow Chef informed me that they knew of one at Papa Johns Chain that basically dispensing a pre-appointed amount after you place the plastic dispenserr completly over the pizza and then hit the lever and it portions and disperses the correct amount of cheese evenly on the pizza. The same amount each time.

They are auto cheesers. Domino’s started using them in the early 90’s.

These were only manufactured for dominos so the only way you can buy them is used. I see them occasionally on ebay, but your best bet would be to contact Northern Pizza Equipment or another company that liquidates pizza shops when they close.

It is my understanding that they only work for diced cheese. Is that correct? Anyone here use one?

You are correct, they don’t work for shredded cheese. It would get hung up on the rings instead of falling through.

The other problem with these are the largest pizza they will spead the cheese over is a 16" pizza.

Are they still manufactured?

I don’t think the Auto Cheeser is still manufactured. They were built exclusively for Domino’s and couldn’t be sold to anyone else. Yes, tehy can only be used with diced cheese. Like someone else said, if you wanted one, the best way is to watch eBay or contact a used restaurant equipment company and put out the word you are looking for one.

yes they are still manufactured but only sold to Domino’s

here is a link to an Auto Cheeser that was recently sold…

http://cgi.ebay.com/Khalids-Automatic-P … dZViewItem

I’m not sure if it is really a time saver, as you must measure/weigh the cheese 1st b4 dispensing…

We use diced cheese & a measuring cup, turning it upside down when “cheesing” the pie…perhaps not quite as fast, but it is pretty accurate for portion control and excellent coverage…

Wow! That cheese machine is OLD SCHOOL. That’s like the one I used back in the day. Notice the Domino’s logo? It’s not angled into a diamond shape. That’s the old box-style logo meaning that cheeser is one of the first ones to come out back in the early 90’s. I would’ve bought it for more just to have it.

-J_r0kk

whilst the new ones look a little more modern there really nothing different - if you buy the parts they’re all the same.

Why hasn’t anyone created one for indy shops?

i think it is fairly well patented.

1. I think you could definitely create a different approach, and make a cheesing device that did not violate patents. Build in a scale for one thing.
  2. I also think that a half ounce variation here and there is a realistic expectation for creating good-looking pizza. I know there will be arguments, but we cheese by eye. I spot check, and if someone mis-cheeses, they occasionally go back to weighing for a bit to calibrate.

cheesing is not an “art” but there are some trix we use…

we blend 2 diced mozz (Grande & Prima Gusta) 50/50

I have a plastic 1 cup measure that we use…2 “dips” in the cheese 4 a 14" pizza meets our requirement +/- a fraction of an ounce…

we turn the cup up-side down, covering the opening with several fingers & “rain” the cheese over 1/2 the pie…then repeat 4 the other side…

the whole process takes just seconds - as fast as the auto cheeser, IMAO, and within a acceptable cost/portion variance…

No need 2 reinvent the wheel, just use the ones that are out there…

you can vary the weight requirement by selecting different cups 2 meet your needs…we use 1 cup & just use it x# of times, depending on the size of the skin…

it takes a bit of practice, but is faster than weighing out each portion to order, or pre-portioning 400+ cheese cups…

Ya would think so, intuitively. It’s reall a fallacy of small numbers making you think that. Let’s look at some numbers for a small shop:

< < <NOTE: this is my personal philosophy that others may not buy into . . . please discard and move along if not your slice of pizza> > >

16" pies . . . . 3700 count
12" pies . . . . 3100 count
10" pies . . . . 3500 count

all sizes 10,300 count

10,300 x .5 ounces = 5,150 ounces variance
5,150 / 16 = 322 pounds x 2.00/lb = $644

How early in the year will you hit 10K pies? $644 is far and away enough for me to buy a couple make-line portioning scales that will keep me saving/making money for years. This is just cheese . . . doesn’t count sauce, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts.

If $600 is an acceptable loss over 10,000 pizzas, whatever the time frame, then you’re good. Another way to look at this half ounce is in percentages:

16" pie . . . 10 ounces . . . 5% variance
12" pie . . . 7 ounces . . . . 7% variance
10" pie . . . 5 ounces . . . . 10% variance

Some would argue that half the customers would get the lesser portion and balance it out. I am uncomfortable saying it’s OK because half the customers are getting ‘cheated’.

Nick you are a genius…And just think how much more marketing you can do with that cheese money…And if you add in the meat money and shrimp money and the veggy money, etc. you will rock…RCS…

Once upon a time…and not that long ago…we ran a $5 college pie store…

On any given Friday, our drivers (8+ drvs) ran the cut table, answered phones and did wings…

We had 2 H.S. (p.t., 4 hrs.) to help answer phones & cash…

One man slapped…the GM or a shift leader topped - thats right, just 2…

350 - 500+ pies on any given friday…

F.C. 26-27%
L.C. 17-29%

No time/need 2 scale cheese when measured in my previous post

We now run an 18" special for 9.95 & run 250+ pies @ another location…

similar results…

You can spend money on labor or product, as long as you get the goal to 65%+/-

Hey Archie;
See what I said about this place. Ain’t it the greaqtest place to get get information? Ask and you shall receive!
Have a great day!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor