cheese block price $2.10

CME cheese block price closed at $2.10, up almost $.10 in a week

…it’s about as effective as talking about the weather.
it does affect all of us the same.
the main difference I have seen from what people pay, is that some distributors are slower to lower their prices after their cost go down.
…I just like them to know I am aware…
time frame should have about equal lag on either side…

press on regardless,
Otis

You think it’s high now, just wait until the patent for my Milk-Powered S.U.V. Engine is approved! Totally renewable fuel source and all… how could there possibly be a downside?

You think it’s high now, just wait until the patent for my Milk-Powered S.U.V. Engine is approved! Totally renewable fuel source and all… how could there possibly be a downside?

…hopefully, with the money saved on the new SUV engine can be spent on the ridiculously high prices of pizza !
Otis

Thanks for the post. It got me to look at the CME pricing again. With the lag in the pricing at US Food, Sysco et al, they are still in the 2.15-2.20 area. At 2.10 for block these guys will be at 2.40 shortly. I just bought six weeks worth for delivery this week.

…closed at $2.13 yesterday…sounds like you are hetting fair lag times,
last time they bought, it was something , less, maybe $2.00,
next time they buy it could be $2.13, or more, do not know how often they peg the price.
when I traded soybeans, improper lag times were called “bad trades”, and the traders trying to get away with it were physically hauled out of the pit and nobody traded with if they returned,
…now, we are ar the nercy somewhat…
Otis

The food guys post a price each week. It is based on the price they paid for the inventory they have on hand. The stuff they are selling this week, they bought a couple of weeks ago at 1.85-1.90.

he food guys post a price each week

who are the food guys ?
where do they post weekly ?
Otis

The food guys are US Foods, Sysco, Shamrock, Italco… you name it. They sell to all of us independants. They set prices every week. Your food rep can provide you a price list.

My experience has been that they sell cheese (block, not shredded) for 20 to 30 cents above what the CME price was when they purchased. There is a lag between when they buy and when it is delivered to you. If the market is rising, youo can often buy for less in the current week than what you will pay 2-4 weeks later because of that lag. When I see an upward move like we have now, I will buy a few weeks ahead to save money.