Cheese prices

for us block cheese low m part skim has bottomed out at 1.7625.for us January was pretty much the only month last year where cheese was under 2 bucks,hopefully this wont be the case this year.

Last edited:
Wow, those are some good prices. I paid 2.19 today for block Della Vita from Spokane, WA. Last week it was 2.50!

I think average over the last 9 months has been around 2.35.

We tried some some California Gold from Cisco previously, and it has always been 10-15 cents cheaper per pound, but we were randomly getting blocks that the careless packers got holes in them and the cheese had started to mold. So we gave up on that and went back to Della Vita. never a single moldy block from DV.

Last edited:
I think the suppliers are still working through the stocks they bought at higher prices. With the block market down so much and staying that way over a month now, I am expecting to buy under $1.80 when we need cheese.

We bought a large quantity at $2.03 about 5 weeks ago and are just coming to the end of it so we ducked the $2.50 that the price jumped to in between.

Eupher, your suppliers are selling you a story. It is generally possible to buy cheese around 25 cents above the block price and even lower if you run high volume. With a $1.55 for block that puts a good price at $1.80 or less. There is always a lag time between when the price changes in at the CME and when it shows up on your price list but that is the general shape of things.

Last edited:
Back