cleaning pizza screens

looking for a way to clean pizza screens? any suggestions?

Scrap with a knife. For really bad ones put them in the oven for a couple of minutes and then scrap.

Don’t wash them, you want them to be “seasoned”

You want your pizza screens to look all black and brown in color, thats the seasoning. Without the seasoning, your pizzas will stick like glue to the screens. DO NOT WASH OR SOAK the screens to clean them as this will only lead to the seasoning peeling off like a bad sunburn. So, what to do? Just run them through your oven during the slow times. This will heat the screens sufficiently to carbonize and debris. You can then use a stiff, PLASTIC/NYLON bristle brush to dislodge the offending crud. If you’ve go to completely clean the screens of all seasoning, I’ve used a product called Carbon-Off <www.carbonoff.com> with good success. But remember, after cleaning all the seasoning off of the screens, you will need to reseason the screens all over again. Do this by setting your oven temperature at 425F and the time at 15 minutes. Open the doors and windows, and be prepared t explain why there is so much smoke in your shop. Wipe the screens with salad oil and run through the oven. I like to do this twice, the second time without the addition of more oil. This will give you screens with a slightly golden hue to them. As you continue using the screens they will continue to darken in color.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

thanks for the info tom we really appreciate the time and help you give all of us here on the think tank

Not much sadder occasion in my shop than bending one of our blackened screens. :cry:

one of my friends owns another pizza shop and he pays a guy to clean them in a caustic soda bath once every 3 or 4 months, ‘they come out looking like new’ he tells me!. I’ve lost count of the number times I’ve told him not to!!!

i use a wire brush to just knock off the baked on food

Hello Dd,we have pizza tools blck.anodized screens that are a year and a 1/2 old now and I’ve yet to clean them.we just give them a little bang on table being careful not to bend or dent and they’re perfect. I only wish I could do this to my whole kitchen.lol

Niccademo

I know where you’re coming from with the wire brush, but I have a very real concern with wire brushes around food preparation areas and containers (I consider a pizza screen to be a food container). Where you have wire brushes you have wire bristles and those bristles eventually find a way to get off of the brush, and that’s the last thing I want to lose in my kitchen. I can live with a plastic bristle, but not the wire ones. Please keep this in mind when considering your selection of brushes for cleaning your screens.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

If we get stuff caked on the screens, we run them through the oven a couple of times and bruch off the rest. We season new screen as described above except that we brush them with oil the first time and then run them through on the standard temp/time settings about 4-5 times.

If cleaning them as described does not take care of it, we replace them.

We find that laying them flat on the slap table (after running into oven empty for 10 or 15 minutes) and rolling GENTLY AND FIRMLY with a docker or rolling pin over the screens will break off most crusty bits. Brush off debris into trash with bench brush.

Yah. Been there, defended that.
Sued a long time ago - someone claimed (they were professional suers, turns out) to have ingested a brash wire from the oven brush and to have had subtantial portions of their intestines damaged…
CAREFUL with wire brushes.