cooking pizza screens

Currently i am using aluminum pizza screens and i know you have to prime them before using them or the dough will stick to the screens. I was wondering what the best way to do this is??? thank you

you’ll need 2 “season” them by either spraying them w/spray release & baking in the oven, or dip & drain them in fryer oil & bake - watch out for the smoke!!!

A better/costlier solution is the black anodized disks - no stick/no season - pricey, but last 4 ever…

When we season new screens, we brush them thoroughly with veg oil and run them into the oven. We stop the conveyor and leave them in place for about 10 miuntes and the turn the conveyor on again.

For that first pass theough the oven I suggest that you drop the temperature down to 425F and set the time at 10 to 15-minutes. Since the flash point of most oils is about 435 to 440F this will help to prevent the introduction of any unwanted excitement into your life as your oven begins belching fire and flames and triggers your fire suppression system. Don’t ask me how I know about this.
After the first pass, you can go to your normal baking temperature. In fact, I recommend this as it sets/hardens the seasoning. As you continue to use the screens, they will continue to darken over time. Do not soak the seasoned screens in water to clean them as this will cause the seasoning to come off in large pieces, much like a bad sunburn. If this happens, you will need to strip the seasoning off of all of your screens and statr all over again.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

We often us a baking disk by Lloyd Pans in our EDGE series of ovens when we do test bakes and demonstrations. Many customers have really liked the way they bake and also like the idea of the pizza not sticking to the screen. As far as seasoning your pans, I have to agree with Tom…and yes keep your temperature at 425 or less to avoid any problems.