Crust browning

Tom,

I am getting light crusts. The bottom is perfect and the cheese is browning perfectly. I am using 800 grams of flour, 500 grams of water. 1/2 tsp ADY, 1- 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp honey, 3 tbs whey, 3 tbs Malted Milk. 1 tsp olive oil, after a 5 hour poolish of 300 gram flour and water plus the 1/2 tsp ady and malted milk I add 1/2 IDY. Knead for 5 minutes and 48 hour cold ferment. I bake on a baking stone at 475 for the first 4 minutes and finish it on a higher rack in a 1-1/2 and 2 in. seasoned pans. The bottom is a perfect golden brown but the rim still to light.

What should I experiment with to increase the browning to match the bottom? Sugar? Tempature? Pan depth / type, bake time? Or all.

I am getting the same results with KASL and All TRumps and Guistos all high gluten flour.

MWTC

If you add more sugar, whey or anything else to help the browning of the crust you will certainly help the top of the pizza (edge) to color-up. but, at the same time you will also increase the bottom color, so that is not a viable option. Look at the following as things to try in your home oven:

1. Bake on a higher rack in the oven.
  2. Bake at a slightly higherv(25 to 50F) higher temperature.
  3. Bake your pizzas in a pan with a lower side wall height, maybe a 1 or 1.5-inch deep pan.
    Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thank-you Tom,

I’ll experiment tonight.

MWTC