Deep Dish Dough

Hi Tom, I use a dough formula very close to your NY style formula to make a NY style pizza. I am intereasted in developing a deep dish pizza so I am starting with your suggested recipe. I see in your suggested recipe that the basic differences are a weaker flour, more sugar, a little more yeast, more oil, and a little more water. One of the charectaristics I am interested in is a more buttery, richer crust. Will replacing oil with shortening or butter help to achieve this result? Thank You, Steve

Steve;
You’re on the right track. You can use butter, butter flavored oil, or a butter flavored margarine (try Bluebonnett) to replace the oil/shortening in the dough formula. Then, to accentuate the buttery flavor, try using the Bluebonnett margarine to greast the pan. This will give a great buttery flavor with each bite. I mention Bluebonnett margaring specifically because I know it has a true, buttery flavor, I’m sure that there are others with comparable flavor, but I can’t name them. On the other hand, I’ve tries some of the generic, house brand margarines, and they had a terrible flavor when heated. Experiment to find one that works for you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor