Detroit Style Finger Profile for Impinger

Start your testing at 425F and vary the baking time, if that doesn’t give you what you want increase the temperature to 450F and work with different baking times. The highest temperature you will probably need to bake at will be 475F, BUT if you see continued improvement in the bake as you go up in temperature by all means try 500F to see what that gives you. As you go up in baking temperature the baking time will trend downward (shorter). While we normally don’t bake your type of pizza at that high of a temperature, those top radiant panels will allow you to do so without charring everything on top of the pizza. If you don’t mind, I’d like to know what the results of your tests are as it might help in determining a better finger profile if that one doesn’t work for you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

Thanks again for your input.

I will thoroughly document each bake time/temp.

I’ve attached pictures of our pizza as it appears baked in deck ovens, and even home ovens without a stone (just on the center rack.) Hopefully, we get similar results!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Just an update for everyone here;

I was able to bake a few pies in an Edge oven today thanks to a very generous fellow former member and the awesome customer service at Edge. Though dialing in my pizza would take many more bakes and time with the oven than I could have spent today, I was able to walk away with confidence that these new conveyor ovens are capable of achieving our desired bake. I had no issue getting a (more than) crisp crust bottom from these and I’m sure some tweaking will get me the perfect fried cheese edge I desire. Based on the test bake, I would back off on the temp or time a little bit. Even cold, hours later, my bottom crust still retains some crispness.

For the skeptics, it is very true these new conveyors are a far cry from the stigma we may have associated with the older models. Just goes to show it’s really important to set these up right and configure them for YOUR pizza.

I am hoping to spend some more time with an Edge oven in the very near future. This is a wonderful technology, and like any new kitchen technology (convection ovens, sous vide equipment, induction cookware,) there is a learning curve; but when used properly, the results are potentially unparalleled.

I think my friends at Edge owe me a drink when I see them in Vegas next week :wink:

Glad you walked away knowing it’s a good oven…best decision we made in a long time!

Next time I am in Brooklyn gonna stop by

Edge oven is coming in next week!

While the oven is being installed, we want to dial it in the best we can. I’m also considering a parbake to maximize a crispy crust (we just did an event where the crusts were essentially parbaked and people loved it…)

Any recommendations on a finger profile for a parbaked Detroit style? I’m thinking of doing something similar to brown dog/blue pan pizza (though they use a deck oven.) Parbake with just cheese on the edge, acting as glue, so the dough doesn’t shrink from the side of the pan. Then finishing with all toppings. Only concern is overcooking the edge…

Did you buy directly from Edge? If so, is Mark, the owner installing them? He knows the ovens well and should be able to get you dialed in well.

Nick at Alpha

If you are going to make a par-baked crust your top profile will typically have a somewhat gentler airflow, especially at the front end of the oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor