historically we have been primarily a dine in restaurant with only about 10-15% of sales being takeout and prior to covid hadn’t offered online ordering or delivery. now in the shifting age of covid, our model has obviously changed with a shift to 50%+ being takeout and now adding online ordering. and to clarify, i’m talking about our own online ordering through our pos (speedline), not 3rd party online+delivery platforms like ubereats/grubhub.
wondering whos charging an online order fee and why or whynot?
things we’re considering in this decision…
- there are additional costs to us in monthly fees and ‘card not present’ credit card rates
- there are savings to us in that we’re not paying a server (not specific to online orders, but togo orders)
- there are lost sales for togo/online orders in alcohol and other addon sales
- we are not typically a nickel and diming sort of place and kinda feels like a moneygrab.
- but there’s a convenience factor of online ordering and that has value.
- we’re all just trying to survive covid however we can.