Do you have to use a Steam Kettle to make Sauce in?

Hey, my question is do you have to use a Steam Kettle when making Pizza Sauce or can you just mix the ingredients up in a container and put it in the Cooler until you need it to put on a pizza? Didn’t know if there was a required Heating Preperation that was needed or not?

Thanks!

I reckon most of the folks here do not cook their pizza sauce…most mix & marinate in the cooler for a day…those that do prob don’t use or have access to a true steam kettle…

steam kettles are great, but a bit pricey if purchases new and still need to be under a hood most of the time…

I reckon most of the folks here do not cook their pizza sauce…most mix & marinate in the cooler for a day…those that do prob don’t use or have access to a true steam kettle…

steam kettles are great, but a bit pricey if purchases new and still need to be under a hood most of the time…

Save yourself a bunch of money (and send it to me), you won’t need a kettle unless you plan to do a LOT of soups or something on your menu. Any place I’ve worked we’ve never cooked our sauce prior to use. Simply batch it up, hold it for a day or two till used to let the spices “talk” to each other.

I was just confused I guess… because I read somewhere where you might need a Kettle (or some other way of warming maybe) to help disolve the SUGAR if that ingredient was in your recipe.

All comments welcome.

Thanks!

A good mixing and 18 hours in the fridge should dissolve all of the spices and sugar you put into your sauce. Not cooking seems to be the most popular on this thread, but there is a big divide in pizza makers here. Many swear by cooking your sauce beforehand, but when you do that, the flavors and smells are released as well.

We do not cook it. I have worked in maybe a half dozen pizza stores over the years before owning my own and NONE of them cooked sauce.

I sure would not want to. We use about 10-15 gallons a day when we are pretty busy.

To the other end of the question, I find that added sugar gives an undesireable flavor component to tomato sauces. Many recipes have a set quantity added to a given volume of tomato product, which is often one with variation in acidity and sweetness from batch to batch. Ergo, you get sauce that can at times be unbalanced acidic, and some unbalanced sweet/candylike.

My philosophy is to buy one of the top tier fresh-pack tomato products and work your recipe from there. They are very sweet and balanced tomatoes that seldom, if ever, require adding corn or cane sugar to the recipe. I am a fan of Stanislaus, and other here use Escalon. Still others use other high consistency manufacturers. Get fresh-packed tomato samples and see what you get without the sugar. I pay about 4 cents over USFoods house lable per 16-inch pie to use Stanislaus. The sauce results are worth far more than 5 cents to me. I will be that the people using top tier tomatoes are not cooking sauces before making the pies. They are looking for the fresh tomato character you get from those brands. IT may actually help some of the truly “sad” brands of tomato to cook and develop more complex compounds so they taste better. Just sayin’.

I use a very simple seasoning: to 5 cans of tomato, I use 4 ounces of seasoning . . . . oregano, granulated roasted garlic, black pepper, and basil. That’s it . . . TOTAL of 4 ounces . . . so that I feature the tomato, and let the spicing be enhancement to that tomato. Just my way of seeing the pizza world; let the tomato be tomato.

My recipe is similar 2 Nick’s but I use 1/4 C. sugar per 2 #10 cans…as I feel it stops the ‘burp/indigestion’ factor…just my observation