does yeast type matter?

I am new the the pizza business. I have developed a pretty good recipe, but am not happy enough with it. I bought an established restaurant whos pizza was terrible, so my new stuff is a vast improvement. Anyway, I am looking for information regarding yeast. I know with wine, there are different yeasts that can change the flavor of the wine. Is this true with pizza as well? I currently use a live yeast from a local bakery. My recipe is as follows. Any thoughts or reccomendations is helpful. 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup salt 1/4 cup granulated garlic 7.5 oz. live yeast 1 gallon of 85* water 1 1/2 cups 100% olive oil Mix that for 5 min on speed 1 add 16 lbs of Sir Lancelot (king arthur) flour and mix for an additional 5 min. I portion the dough out right after it comes out of the mixer and let it rise for 30 min. I then put it through the dough roller and put it in the fridge for 3 hrs before use. the dough lasts approx 3 days when covered correctly. I dont have much competition around here but alot of wealthy people are moving into this small town. I would like to provide the best pizza I can. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you…

Re: yeast and dough recipe help

I never have heard of adding garlic in the dough?

How much pizza can you make with this recipe?

Do you mix right away after you add in the yeast/sugar/salt/oil? We usually let it sit for about 20 to 30 mins then add in the flour and then mix.

The garlic gives it a nice flavor. (my opinion).

Yes I mix right away.

i portion into small= 10oz, large 1lb 4oz and xlarge 1lb 10oz

I can get 10 small 12 large and 3 xl out of one batch.

Does the existing clientele like the old dough?..Sometimes when folks mess with what is working to improve things they can do more damage than good…At the end of the day it does not really matter what you think…what is important is what your clients think…I have been in lots of pizza places with bad pizza and yet they keep busy…

the old clientle didnt like the pizza at all. mostly came for grinders until I offerd new sauce and pizza.

FYI - Garlic also acts as a dough relaxer in addition to adding flavor…

jefd99,

Can you tell us the type or style of pizza you are making? And what are the sizes of the different pizzas, and how are they baked?

Thanks.

PN

I make pan pizza. baked in the oven at 475* for 12 min in the pan and 2 min “dropped” on the stone floor.
I have 3 sizes 10 inch 15inch and 17 inch.

i woud lov to cook them at a higher temp quicker but I have full itialian restaurant and need to cook other things as well.

Anyone have an answerto my yeast question?

See http://www.pmq.com/tt/viewtopic.php?p=50947#50947.

PN