Door sensor or chime or something for the cashier to WAKEUP!

Hey all, my shop is more like a fast food setup… i’ve got 2 cashier stations up front, and when there is no customers the cashiers are prepping food/cleaning/whatever, just not paying attention to the monitor I have in the back to view if anyone is up front. (did you catch all that? :lol: )

My first question is, other then have someone up front all the time (which is not cost effective for me), do you have a door chime? that laser type chime thing? or what?

Because we have eat-in, a door chime thing would’nt catch the people that have already been seated and need somthing else.

As far as that laser thing, i’m not sure where to find it or even exactly what it’s called.

Thanks all!

Re: Door sensor or chime or something for the cashier to WAK

radio shack has one that you plug into an outlet for about $40

If you have a burglar alarm and a contact on the front door you can program your keypad to chime when the door opens.

you could get a drive way sensor from lowes when they walk to the counter it chimes in the back

We use a door chime for our front door. you plug the receiver/chime into a outlet, put a sensor on the door frame and the cotact on the door when it opens it chimes. For the people that are already in the store I have tried a few things I used to have a wireless door bell with the button on the front counter but that kept getting broken cause people would press on it to hard so I replaced it with a simple mechanical bell and it works great.

We had the same problem. We wwnt to Radio Shack and bought a chime
so when the door opens it goes off. Very inexpensive

Thanks all for the replies

pizzaguy, you have a regular bell that people ring… the kids don’t get ahold of it and bang the crap out of it? :x

I just put a chime attached to the door, you know those ones that normally go outside? But that might not be loud enough for someone deep in the kitchen. And yes I have those hand dinger ones and kids ring the hell out of it. Grr, wish parents wouldnt let them do that!

Once in awhile they do but it doesnt happen much.

We also use the door bell type ringer.

I’m quite hearing impaired, and I can barely hear it…BUT, I still can hear it…so it’s worth the investment.

ok, I’m reviving this old thread…

Since the start of this thread I’ve gotten a service bell placed on my counter, when people need something and no one is up there, just tap the bell… 80% of people just stand there and DONT EVEN RING THE BELL. it’s the only thing on the entire counter and has a sign on it that says “RING FOR SERVICE”! woooo people.

anyway, i went searching again today for a motion activated chime that I would “modify” by making little walls on the top & bottom of the sensor so it would only “detect” the area directly in front of the counter.

However, all the motion detector chimes I’ve found will continuously chime while there is movement… except this one:
http://www.specialtyalarms.com/site/1313932/product/10-7405
BUT, the chime is attached to it. I’d like it to transmit a signal back to the kitchen and chime.

So, my question is, does anyone have some type of setup like this? and if so, where did you get it from?

p.s. I did e-mail the company to see if there is a wireless detector that has this particular detectors same functions. I’ll let you know the result.

Thanks all!

try this site
http://www.gadgetshack.com/wireless-doorbell.html

I’m thinking something like a vibrating coaster would be cool. The downside to a “chime” is that customers can hear it and it would “cheapen” the experience IMHO. Of course if the chime is in the back and not audible in the dining area, that’s perfect.

I had one of those wireless doorbells many years back, and the danged thing would go off for no reason (stray radio waves), so I got rid of it. I’m SURE times have changed.