Dough Management

Hello,
My name Tom i’m a consultant for a small pizza chain. My question is when preparing the pizza dough for the day, they use a sheeter and then slap it out from there. If they don’t use all the dough they slap out and stretched out on the screen they put it back it the walk-in and leave it over night. Please take in mind that the dough came out of the walk-in and sat out most of the day. The next day they bring the dough from the night before. and use it again. I believe that when they do this it kills the ingretdients in the dough is this right. My thought is using that sheeter and compressing the dough and leaving on the screen again it kills the ingredients and you don’t get as much oven spring on the final bake. Please advise.

Thank you Tom

I don’t use that same process, but I sure wouldn’t want to reuse the skins the next day. I’m sure they’re dry and the dough has already over-proofed. An alternate thing to do is to add the “spent” skins back into the next batch of dough. That way, you aren’t wasting the dough, and the new dough will still perform like it should. Of course, there is a limit to the amount of “spent” dough that could be added into a new batch of dough. I usually don’t go more than 10-15%.