Dough Question

First off I just want to say how much I appreciate this site and this forum specifically. I’ve been checking it out ever since I started looking into opening a pizza place of my own a while back. I ended up opening a sandwich cafe mainly because of so many other pizza shops in the area. But now I’m thinking about adding pizza to my menu…now that I’m more comfortable.

My question is about dough and how to double, triple, etc the batch. My pizza dough recipe and sandwich bun recipe are both small which is good for me to handle. However I now want to try and make a larger batch for my sandwiches. The pizza I will keep small since I’m just starting to put it on the menu. How do I go about making a larger batch of dough? I’ve read on some posts that you can just double the yeast and then on others I’ve read that you don’t just double the yeast. I’m really confused about how to go about doing this. I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys could give me.

Here is the recipe that I use for buns:
45 ounces of water
95.5 ounces of high gluten flour
13 ounces of white rye flour
1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks)
10 teaspoon kosher salt
3 Tablespoon dry yeast
7 Tablespoon corn syrup (seems to give them a good shine)

Any help on doubling, tripling this batch would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time and advice!!!

Jack

The best way to make multiple or partial batches of dough is to use bakers percentages. Here is an article by Tom Lehmann explaining what it is all about.

In a nut shell, weigh all you ingredients then use the flour weight as 100% and all other weights are based as a percentage of their weight divided by the flour weight.

In your recipe flour is 95.5 oz and white rye flour is 13 oz so your formula would be 13/95.5x100=13.61%

For a triple batch you multiply 95.5x3=286.5 oz of high gluten flour
then 286.5x13.61%= 38.99 oz of white rye flour

Do this same calculation with all the other ingredients.

Wow, Thanks Daddio! Your explanation makes perfect sense. This helps alot! I really appreciate the help.