dough roller

Does anyone know of an inexpensive dough roller designed for home use? My wife makes a lot of pastries that require rolled dough, including pizza and kolaches. The commercial dough rollers run around 3-6 thousand dollars! I’m looking for something that might be designed for home use, maybe even non-motorized/hand cranked. I know this is a long shot, but thought I would try.
Also, is a “sheeter” the same thing as a dough roller?

Thanks,
Bob

sheeter=dough roller…you can find one on ebay quite reasonably

You may want to think about the pasta attachment that fits on the hub of a Kitchenaid mixer. This may work for you. Commercial dough sheeters are very heavy and take up a lot of space in a kitchen (that’s where I had mine before I opened my store). http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/categ … goryId=158

Thanks for the idea about using the kitchen aide, but that is for pasta dough only, and is only 6" wide.

How about a rolling pin?

I was trying to get consistent thickness, fast and easy.

Consistency with a rolling pin is easy to get. Just go to your local hardware store and buy a couple pieces of aluminum or brass bar stock the thickness you want to roll the dough to. Pin the dough out close to the finished thickness, then insert the bar stock, we’ll call these “Gauging strips” along either side of the doug piece so the rolling pin can rest on each one. Now you can roll the dough out only to the thickness of the gauging strips. Pretty nifty, and cheap too. If you are a little handy, and have access to a table saw, you can cut your own strips from a piece of hardwood such as ash or oak. In a pinch, I’ve been known to use a couple yard sticks as they are pretty close to the thickness that
I’m normally looking for.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thanks, Tom. Great idea! I’ll give it a try.
Bob