Doyon Jet Air Decks: Need help choosing ovens.

Anyone on here using the Doyon Electric Ovens? I keep hearing good things about the jet air ovens. I know some people are h#%dcore deck ovens…but I’m new and would prefer something that isn’t as skill intensive, but can still yield good results. Thanks so much.

Re: Doyon Electric Pizza Ovens: PIZ3 or PIZ6

there are a few conveyors that are not impingment, or the “jet air”
CTX by Middlbey, Q-Matic, and Picard has one.
I have a Q-Matic, infrared radiant heat, I like it.

The impingment ovens bake good pizza too.

Otis

The models in question are not conveyors. In appearnce they look like traditional deck ovens. The difference is in that they are jet air with perforated metal decks. I have heard that they are superb ovens. But I would like to hear from someone that is using or has used them. Thanks for the input.

Bump

These are basically deck ovens with some air being blown in much like a convection oven.
It will probably require, as with a deck oven, a person who can look at a pizza and determine from the outside if it is done on the inside. Said person will have to pay close attention to the time the pizzas are in the oven or they may be burnt or under baked.

Electric ovens are in most all situations more costly to use than gas ovens. Electric ovens produce a dryer produce than gas ovens.

I have never seen this oven in a pizzeria. Is any group of any consequence using them?

The vast majority of pizza shops have found the air impingement conveyor ovens to be the best for baking pizza.

George mills

Thanks for the input. Gas is not available to me. And this oven is so sppealing to me based on cost. The conveyor ovens are just out of my budget. From my understanding, they work just like the conveyors using jet air as a heating medium. They just have the perforated decks vs. a moving belt. They are cheaper, take up less space, and hopefully can keep up with a conveyor with respect to production. They say 30 18" pies per hour using a 6-8 minute bake time. I would love to hear from someone who has seen them or used them.

if elec is your only option, look on ebay for elec version/conveyor…I personally use the CTX bemouths, but they are my fav

I have heard from people who have multiple conveyors. Two set up for pies, 1 for subs, 1 for pastas, etc…But I don’t have that kind of start up funds. I am thinking a deck style oven would be better because I would have just the expense of one oven. I could put anything I want in it and just time it right. Any other thoughts?

Bumpity bump bump

You started by saying that ‘I’m new and would prefer something that isn’t as skill intensive’ the ‘deck’ oven you are considering won’t produce the same volume as a conveyor just because it uses ‘jet air’ It will require manual intervention and it will require someone with experience and skills to manage’ the oven - so it doesn’t appear to be what you are looking for.

I really don’t think you need multiple conveyor ovens for different products unless you are doing major volumes or have a major range in different menu items (in which case you may which to simplify things). You will easily be able to place items part way through the oven or multi pass items through a conveyor therefore meaning you only need one conveyor.

Hope this helps

I have read about the stone decks having problems with cool spots. The idea behind these ovens is that you get a more consistent bake…so long as you watch it and time it properly. Also it only takes about a 20 minute heat up time. And when you do heat it up, you doing it on all three decks. I would have to power up a deck oven and let it sit not being used, or leave it off and then have to wait the long heat up period if I did need it. I could be wrong about alot of this. I just haven’t been sold on conveyors as they seem to have a negative stigma in my area. J_Rokk or NicksPizza care to give your opinions?

With a deck oven you have to let the spot “recover” after cooking something ther. If you rotate right to left across the front and then right to left across the back (or left to right; doesn’t matter) you have used all the spots before starting over, recovery should not be an issue. An issue to consider with deck ovens is trusting someone to do it right if you ever get a day off. Gas conveyers give similair quality and take out the human factor of deciding when it is done as well as taking away the temptation to send out a marginal product because they forgot about it ao just don’t care. Yeah you have to leave them on or wait the 10 minutes for it to heat up, but decks need 4-6 hours to get the stones up to temp so you either come in (really) early and turn them on or leave them on overnight, and if you get and unexpected rush that taxes oven capacity you are basically screwed. Oh, and by the way, electric deck ovens do not recover as quickly as gas and utilities costs will are so high that anything you save up front will quickly be offset.

If gad isn’t available they can be converted to propane, and either gas or propane are ovens are cheaper to run, and conveyors are cheaper to run than deck ovens, when you factor in air conditioning costs. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the great info. I had no idea that the stone decks had to heat up for 4 to 6 hours…I thought it was more like 1 or maybe 2. That rules out the stone deck. I checked on propane and one deck would cost me about $720 a month to operate. I didn’t think that sounded too awfully bad, but the deal breaker was that the tank had to placed right in the middle of my parking lot. I have to go electric…the question remains stone deck (4-6 hour warm up vs. cost of never turning off and navigating the cool spots), Doyon Jet Air deck oven (15-25 minute warm up with no cool spots), or an electric conveyor. Anyone have any thoughts on an electric conveyor? Which brand, features, benefits, etc…