EBT

Thinking of tapping in that market, whats the first step? can I sell a take and bake and ring up the service separate?

Not sure on the steps to take for set-up, but there’s a franchise around here called Figaro’s. They advertise their take and bake price and then charge $1 to bake it. So if you buy a $10 pizza off their menu, $10 will be charged to the EBT card and $1 will need to come from the customer if you bake it in the store. From what I’ve heard, about 1/3 of their sales come from EBT cards.

That’s something I’d like to here more about.

What is EBT?

Electronic Benefits Transfer

So, food stamps?

Yes, food stamps.

In my state, there would be no problem using EBT to purchase a take and bake pizza. But I’m not sure a place would get away with selling the pizza to an EBT customer and then charging that customer in another transaction to cook the pizza. Thats toeing the line a bit close. What about cold subs? I was at a Subway in Georgia last week that offered their cold subs for EBT payments. You were not able to get them baked. There is also a program in some areas that allow “homeless” persons to use their EBT cards at certain restaurants for fully prepared meals. In my town Dominos as well as the most expensive pizza place in town are allowed to accept EBT card for payment.

The reason I ask there is mom and pop chicken place like a KFC, on the window it says EBT…
“you buy we fry” I read an article that food stamps have doubled! I just thought I know alot of my taxes go to fund this why not try to find away to get some of that back?

I just checked into this be a little careful and check everything because we are approved to do this however they want $49.00 fee per month plus .25 cents per transaction this would be on top of my credit terminal fees because they just tap into that. I’ll see if I can find the e-mail the guy in my area sent and post it.

Part if me wants to get in on this and the other part drives me insane. When I see people in the grocery store buying fresh lobster and shrimp or going somewhere and buying bushels of crabs I want rip that card out of there hand. I can’t afford those things.!!
But then again if I accepted the card and toed the line a lot bit, maybe I’d be able to afford those things

This is all so wrong.

Oh Bruno… you can afford it. It is your tax dollars that are deposited on that card each month. So just too clarify…you can afford it you just cannot eat it! Big difference. Yes Steve, this system is so wrong! :!:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/retailers/eligibility.pdf

In general, items that are not eligible for purchase with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly Food Stamp Program) benefits include: Food products that contain alcohol or tobacco products, Items that are not intended for human consumption (e.g. paper products, pet foods, etc.), Foods sold hot at the point-of-sale, and Vitamins and supplements

When considering the eligibility of vitamins and supplements, power bars, energy drinks and other branded products, the primary determinant is the type of product label chosen by the manufacturer to conform to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines: Items that carry a nutrition facts label are eligible foods

So, they are purchasing the raw/cold food with their benefits. Then, they are paying the vendor to cook/heat the food with non-benefit monies in a separate transaction. It does the rules lawyers of the world proud.

The original WIC (Women, Infants & Children) program got it right in my opinion. Participants get a set of coupons to purchase specific items: gallon of milk, loaf of bread, fortified cereal, tin of fruit juice, etc… Mothers and their children filled known dietary needs from a pre-approved list of food groups.

I always thought the Food Stamp program would be much more efficient if it operated in the same fashion. The arguments again doing so are… well, read them and judge for yourself.

I have a college buddy of mine that works at Papa Murphy’s corporate offices and he says that many of their locations are 50% or more EBT. The ones that are located in lower income areas would, according to him, never survive if they didn’t accept EBT…but yet, many of these locations are their most profitable and I would bet this wasn’t by accident.

From what I have read after re-reading is that these are separate benefits although still being paid by us but not the same as food stamps.
Here is what was sent to me

My first thought was not to do this because of the added fees that I posted however I figure someone in my area will do this and it is usually better to be the first. Only thing I have not found out yet is if there is a contract oh how I hate contracts

A few weeks a received a call asking if I wanted to accept ebt. Not the food stamps part of it but for people who receive cash benefits on their card. After listening to them talk about fees they said if I used there credit card processor their would be no fee.

Right so then there are two more questions to ask 1. What are their fees for processing & 2. Are you under a contract with another processer which I am.

I believe it was fifty dollars a month and .25 a transaction. But with the cash card you can easily just take the money out of an ATM. So I didnt see many people coming in using the card.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/arti … estaurants

Found this on youtube…I wonder if anyone’s pizza shop made it the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64Fz-KW1Dk (probably NSFW)