electric ovens

Is there a differance in the out-come of a pizza’s taste, if the pizza oven is electric and not gas? I’m looking into a small place that doesn’t have gas lines in the space, the cafe that used to be there only used electric, and I am only familiar with gas deck ovens.

Hi pizzacafe1

I did not catch your post until now.

There should not be a great difference in electric or gas ovens. Electric is a little slower on recovery and cost more to use.

George Mills

I totally agree with George. I’ve used both gas and electric versions of air impingement, infrared, and deck ovens with very good success. Aside from operating costs, I can’t see any difference in the finished product between those baked with gas or electric. Between gas and electric ovens, I will say this, if I were buying an older oven, I’d opt for the gas version before the electric flavor. Old electric ovens are natorious for their failures when you least expect it. I’ve seen them work just fine until they were moved, then they went belly-up. Probably due to old, brittle wires and insulation. For the record, I’m talking about electric ovens that are at least 20-years old. I’m betting that George has seen his share of 20-year old gas ovens with their share of problems too, this is just my personal observation.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom states.
Old electric ovens are notorious for their failures when you least expect it. I’ve seen them work just fine until they were moved, then they went belly-up. Probably due to old, brittle wires and insulation. For the record, I’m talking about electric ovens that are at least 20-years old. I’m betting that George has seen his share of 20-year old gas ovens with their share of problems too, this is just my personal observation.

GM: Tom is absolutely on target as usual. Service agents report brittle wiring as a very frequent cause of failures in gas conveyor ovens as well as electric ovens. They do not necessarily have to be 20 years old to have that problem. Certain models develop the brittle wire problem rather soon. That is part of my cautions about used ovens. If properly rebuilt all old wiring should be replaced to preclude those problems. That is expensive to do. If the oven is quit a bit less costly than new it possibly has not been done.

Older ovens have all the wiring in very hot environments, the latest models have virtually all wiring in cool environments to insure longer problem free life.

George Mills

I run electric ovens, &, I’ve had a few wiring problems over the years, due to brittleness & moving…but w/4 conveyor decks, I’ve got 3 back-ups …once the wire has been repaired I generally don’t have any problems for months…