Experts on Delivery

Lol. Sorry about that. Bad editing. Fixed.

To address the oringal post, there are several things to consider. I am no expert on it all, but things to pay attention to and have a vision for include:

1. Car signage

2. visual appeal of packaging

3. Processes in house for moving the order from taker to maker to cutter to package to delivery

4. time controls . . . a pizza loses about 1degree F every minute it is out of the oven

5. GOOD insulated carry bags

6. Clear and stated policy on delivery range, minimum orders and delivery fees (if you have any of these)

7. Adequate staffing numbers . . . manage this closely each week. Run reports to know how many deliveries you average hour by hour. Consider other tasks in the shop during these shifts as well since these are employees drawing paychecks . . . they are valuable assets for all sorts of needs.
    7b. Make a decision on compensation. Make it clear and stand by it. You will attract varying quality of emplyees applicants based on the compensation you offer. Offer what you need to get the level of employees you need to run your show . … but don’t over-reach just for to do it.

8. DELIVERY INSURANCE: EXPENSIVE AND ABSOLUTLEY NEEDED. Find out how much it will cost to have third-party drivers insured for YOUR liability. Drivers on the roasd are a huge gaping liability to the shop, and the insurers know it.

9. Get really, really good at interviewing and identifying exceptional employees. You want to hire as many people as possible who have some loyalty to helping you build and sustain your business. Not all will excel at this, but the more you can recruit, the stronger your staff and business will be.

10. Do not be affraid to rotate deficient employees. Staffing is always the most challenging part of the business. Sometimes you hire people who just are not a fit for your operation and your managing style. Be willing to train and coach, then be willing to move on. Know when you are getting good return from your drivers for your investment because some customers will never see anyone else representing your business.

11. Find the local labor laws pertaining to delivery staff and learn it. Live it. Love it.

The logic is that drivers have their own duties (for example, deliver the pizza) that insiders do not. Yet, when in the store (waiting for pizza, any reason) they are expected to step in and do insider duties, often at a BASE rate less than insiders.

My BASE rate is below minimum wage, a travesty for a delivery driver. Basically, I feel as though I am risking my life for $5/hour. As far as tips are concerned, I earn them by going out in any kind of weather, up 4 flights of steps for an order of wings, etc. There is NO WAY my boss should be able to use that as my wages. Tip credit for delivery drivers is a load of dung.

This thread is going no where and is starting to get personal so it is now locked.