Fish Ovens

OK…My oven hunt continues…Anyone using or have any experience with a Fish oven…

Have you ruled out Marsals already??

No…just after reading the comments…my concern was volume…so I am just trying to make the best decision I can…

What are your projected sales?

I’ve heard people doing well over 300k with Marsals.

I think most people here would agree that if you want volume, to get conveyor ovens.

I have no idea how to project volume …I am going off what I know others have done in my area…I want volume but not at the expensive of a better pie…I want to make the best pie I can within reason and I think choosing the right oven is within reason…I just can;t seem to put my arms around the idea of a conveyor…I don’t want the almost as good bake…not when there are options I can at least consider…my friends (other owners) and reps…they have looked at my plan and location and I hear 40 -60 a month should be very achievable in the first year…

Take a look at Rotoflex. Very hi capacity and no spinning…am very happy with mine.

We have a big Fish oven at one of our stores. Big volume rotating deck oven.

I am looking at Roto-Flex…the thing I am concerned with is the different trays being different temps…I do hear that its not quite as simple as putting it in and removing when done…you may have to move the pie from one tray to another…I am trying to have someone who cares less than I do still make a good pie with consitancy…

Good to hear your happy with the Big FIsh…

How big is your kitchen again?

About 800 sq ft…

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if you could 40k-60k per month outta 800 sq feet… Especially in the first year, and this economy. But hey what do I know lol.

Anyways, back on topic. If you do some reading around here, many of the big professional guys, like Tom L and George M, will both agree you can achieve superior quality pizzas with conveyor ovens. If you plan to do over 700k per year, I would definitely consider conveyor ovens.

I know Tom seems to like conveyor when done right…I am just having a hard time embracing them…

Don’t fear the darkside…when used properly a good conveyor will yield a fantastic pie!

The models from 15-20 years ago required that you move the pies around, but not the new ones. There is a slight difference between the temps of the shelves but not that much. I can cook just about any pizza on any shelf and get the same results.

And as far as volume goes, I run over a million in sales through mine and know several others who run about 2 million through theirs.

At $27 average ticket, $50,000 is 1851 orders a month. That is 61 orders per day. We will hit $450,000 minimum out of 537sq ft this year. Open at 4. Close at 9 apart from Fri-Sat close at 10. No sit down. I think your projected numbers are POSSIBLE, however, very unlikely in first year. If you open for lunch your overall avg ticket will be closer to sub $20. Thats 2500 orders a month or 83 a day. Thats a LOT of customers. That takes a whole lot of refrigeration, prep and staff. Also will demand very tight inventory control.

you sound like the business plan I have in mind…I know we are all from different parts of the country…but I think if you have a lot of population…You can do things that may not work in smaller towns…Competition is all around but the cream does rise…anyone ever hear of Pinks in LA…really good Hot Dogs…Its hot dogs but always a line you can expect to wait no less than twenty minutes and at busy times up to an hour…for a hot dog…not comparing but the point is…good food sells in busy areas… people seem to find you…I do believe there is no better advertising than a happy customer as cliche as that sounds…it is simply true…

The corner I would be at has daily traffic count of 52,000 cars on the busier street and 33,000 and the less busy street…I have a population of just about 50,000 people living within a 5 five minute drive of the location…this again is just my neighborhood not the city…I am just focusing my immediate area…I am not sure if this is common for most places…I appreciate the advice of the experienced here…

Easy,

This thread seems about as good as any for me to throw some pennies at you (my 2 cents.) I just want to be sure that you understand that this isn’t The Field of Dreams. Even if you have the best product in the world, people are NOT going to flock to your restaurant. It is going to take consistency, marketing, service and competitive pricing to give you a shot at turning your dream into the business you want. Price motivates. People want value.

-Scott

Let me say I appreciate the input…but I am really unsure of why some of the comments are made…Field of dreams?..questions about marketing…consistency ?..I am well aware that this is not “Build it and they will come” deal…I truly do appreciate the thoughts shared…but…you or I would have to be very much Forrest Gump like…to think you can build any sort of successful business …without…marketing, real customer service, cultivating your target market, a clear well defined business plan…I feel like because I mention that I want to build it around a better pizza that this is scoffed at by some…That is exactly what gives me my niche in my market…There is an old saying that a sour taste left by a poor product is long remembered after the bargain someone thought they were getting is quickly forgotten…What you need to do in any business is deliver on what your promise is…I get the impression that some here must think I have blinders on to the tough reality of a competitive restaurant market…nothing is further from the truth…I am not looking to be the cheapest just to be better…There is a reason not everyone drives a KIA some pay for what they believe is better…

Easy,

I know you are aware that this isn’t “The Field of Dreams” – but yes, you do have an emphasis in your posts about quality. Which does limit your potential target market. The number of people who are willing to pay for a premium pizza at a premium price is significantly smaller then marketing to “the masses.” Which makes your marketing that much more expensive. You response rates are going to lower because your product price point is going to appeal to a smaller segment of your market. I’m NOT trying to discourage you from making a better pizza. As a matter of fact, I would say that 70-80% of the people here in the think tank would say they have the best pizza in their market. The other 20-30% know what portion of their market they appeal to, and the numbers support their efforts. So when your posts have a common theme that you want to create a “better pizza” – most of us agree with you. Except it is a balancing act of a better pizza at a price point that we can sell to enough customers to remain profitable.

Anyone else have an opinion about my last few posts in this thread?

-Scott