Floor fan made my oven over heat

So it was hot in here on saturday and i got out my 24" fan that helps use not die of heat stroke in the pizza place when its hot.

About 2 hours after i turned it on, my oven shut down, I thought the blower fan on my Lincoln 1000 went out, so i pulled out the spare fan and i was going to swap it out real fast but i was too lazy and just ran the bottom oven instead. I was wondering why it would just turn off, so i thought maybe since the only thing that was different was the floor fan maybe that cause the high limit switch to over heat and shut her down. Thats exactly what happend.

moved the fan ot the other side of the room and 1 hour later the oven turned back in and been perfect ever since. the fan must have just been blowing the air around enough to make it think it was to hot and go in to safetly shut down…

Hmmmmm… :shock:

Sounds like your kitchen and my kitchen have too much in common! We’re pulling money out of thin air to do some serious A/C & ventilation rethinking. Our record temp so far is a balmy 102!

Hi: Kris and deaconvolker

It looks like both of you have serious ventilation problems.

Do you have make up air units? That unit is most often the cause of kitchen over heating.

If pizza ovens are the only units under the hood we never use a make up air system.

Make up air units are expensive to operate as well as usually causing excessive heat in the kitchen.

George Mills

George, our XLT is under it’s own hood, cheap, self-designed…and a fan that’s 4X-under sized. We’re going to do some refiguring on our “hood” design and swap out our 325CFM for the 1250CFM that XLT tells me I should be pulling out of there and cross our fingers. The rest of the kitchen heat issues will be in doing some rethinking our the exhaust on our main cook line, and dumping in some serious air conditioning to bring in air, and relief. Step 3 is to figure a way to put some real insulation on our roof. We’ve zero head-space as it’s simple an old “shed” style roof so I figure I’ll have to lay over some 3" insulation sheets and then cover those with a rubber roof membrane.

Who needs a retirement fund anyway these days?

ok so its not that hot in there, It gets to about 80-85 which is hot for me at least

My hood fan is a 3000 CFM and the Make up are is 2800 CFM. So they are almost matched.

I just was wondering why the fan on the floor would cause the oven to over heat?

Hi Jokergerm:

If your Make up air unit is like most it does not have a refrigeration unit to cool the in bound hot summer air. The air on a black roof in the summer can get well over 100 degrees. That hot air is probably pouring into your kitchen. Two thousand eight hundred cubic feet of hot air being pulled through a kitchen every minute can cause a multitude of problems. All your refrigerated units are probably under stress combating that heat in addition to the worker’s stress.

How many tons of A/C do you have? Not that A/C is the answer to your problem.

George Mills

Deaconvolker states
1250 CFM that XLT tells me I should be pulling out of there and cross our fingers. The rest of the kitchen heat issues will be in doing some rethinking our the exhaust on our main cook line, and dumping in some serious air conditioning to bring in air.

Reply: 1250 CFM sounds extremely low for an XLT in a pizza shop. What model XLT are you using? Note exhausting more air wii probably not solve you heat in the kitchen problem.

You did not indicate what your make up air system was. As you indicate you have a main cooks line you are probably exhausting consider able air which would call for an equal amount of make up air.

Just adding A/C is not a good solution to your problems. A well designed ventilation system can save you a lot in operating costs and give you a more comfortable work area.

George Mills

No we dont have any A/C here. At my other pizza place we have 24 foot ceilings and were in a new strip mall and we never use the a/c and with the make up air and the hood fan on, even if its 85 out side its only 71 tops inside. its almost cold in the back. I love it.

But at the new store that has been open a month its about 80 normally and 85 when its hot outside.

we are on target to almost break 40k our first month open

Thanks George…the 1250CFM comes from XLT. They tell me my 3255 gas should have that up to 1500 to properly vent itself. Our “make-up” air is a unique system that many would say reminds them of an open screen door…I know, low-tech but it’s all we have at the moment.

We’re working on coming up with a solution rapidly, I’m too old to be working in that kind of temps!

deaconvolker

Thanks George…the 1250 CFM comes from XLT. They tell me my 3255 gas should have that up to 1500 to properly vent itself…

Response

That’s a good requirement for the oven but the CFM is determined by the size and type of the hood.

The equipment under the hood has a bearing on the exhausted CFM but it is only a contributing factor.

XLT’s new hood extracts vastly less CFM.

The AVI Hood
Below are the exhaust rates for your oven when the XLT hood is used

3255 single 402 CFM Double 966 CFM Triple 1453 CFM.

We have other hood designs that extract from the building only 880 cfm for a tripl 3255 less for doubles and singles.

Common hood designs can require up to 6000 CFM.

It is the hood design that determines the exhaust rate.

George Mills