Fluffier product in a deck oven?

What’s the secret to a fluffier/softer product in a deck oven? I’m not gonna lie, I love crazy bread style breadsticks but our recipe when baked in a deck oven is just too crispy. Tried it with air impingement and it was better…

I’m really looking for that softness that soaks up dipping sauce like a sponge similar to your typical chain sticks.

We use to buy a decent breadstick that was nice and soft (and stayed soft even after sitting, unlike ours that turn even harder) that we reheated in our decks, but they got way, way out of line on pricing so we stopped selling them long ago.

I haven’t had much time to experiment unfortunately so any ideas would be appreciated.

To make a softer bread stick include fat (shorteing/ Butter Flavored Crisco/margarine/butter/lard) into the dough formula to the tune of at least 6% (some go as high as 8 to 10%), this will give the softness you’re looking for. To get a lighter texture, more crumb porosity increase the dough absorption to the maximum that you can while still retaining the ability of the dough to hold its shape, and don’t forget to give the formed sticks some final proof before baking and then brush them with olive oil as soon as they come out of the oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom is spot on. Ditch the oil you have for any of those. We loosen Butter by covering it for a run in our conveyor once thru, let it cool a bit, and then use it in place of oil. I use 10% butter but my hydration is super low for a cracker type crust a la Chicago. Try it out. I can’t stop selling Cheesy Bread apps like you’re going for and if you let it proof a little bit at room temp, it’ll be super fluffy amigo!

We don’t let ours proof but we use a 12.5 oz dough ball and put it in a 10" pan we mark it brush it with oil cover it and run it through the oven and it comes out nice and soft. We do pan pizzas so yes if you want light and fluffy the key is to let them proof at room temperature

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well said. Proof for 60-90 mins pending your yeast % and kitchen room temp. Beware though, the longer you proof the more you may have to bake it so it’s not doughy. Good luck!