For those of you doing around $10,000 a week in sales....

I’ve got a quick question for the owners on this site that are doing around $10,000 a week or more in sales. Could you please give me a run down of your demographics (population within a 3 mile radius of your store). How many other pizza shops are in your trade area? What do you pay for monthly rent? Right now I’m still in the process of hunting for a building to open a third location in. This time around I want to do it right and get a high volume shop going. A few weeks ago I thought I had the perfect location and was all set to go, but somebody turned in a lease on the property an hour before me. So now I’m back to the drawing board! I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel so I want to put myself in a similar situation as you high volume owners as far as population vs. competition and rent are concerned. Thank-you in advance for any help/input that you guys can give me.

Re: For those of you doing around $10,000 a week in sales…

Roger. We’re doing around that figure but as I’m in a completely different market (Australia) to you my input would not be relevant.

Good luck and happy hunting for your new premises.

Dave

I do around 9k a week at the moment. My rent is 1050 dollars a month for 1200 square feet. Within a 3 mile radius there are about 8,000 people. Within the same 3 mile radius there are 2 other pizzerias.

Roger,

Here are some things I look for:

1. Address count in front of the potential location. I usually gravitate towards smaller markets between 5,000 and 20,000 addresses. The numbers I’d like to see are around 10,000 cars/day.

2. Free standing buildings are first choice, followed by smaller stip centers with no more than 4 tennants. If these two aren’t available I then look to strip centers with fantastic visibility.

3. When you first open don’t expect to have more than 10% marketshare unless you plan on saturating your market with advertising. With the advertising strategy you can expect up to 20% marketshare right off the bat. If you have the average household purchasing $17.45 in pizzas per month and a 3 mile radius with 20,000 addresses you can expect:

20,000 x $17.45 = $349,000 x 10% = $34,900/month
…or…
20,000 x $17.45 = $349,000 x 20% = $69,800/month

1. You want your monthly rent to be less than 7% of your total net sales. If you expect to do $10k/week, don’t go over $2,800/month or you’re limiting your profit potential. I pay less than $1,000.

2. As far as competition is concerned I like to have no more than one competitor per 2,000 addresses. For example: 20,000 addresses = 10 competitors.

If you want to be successful in opening a pizza restaurant, follow these five simple guidelines and they will have you well on your way. Of course, they won’t guarantee success but they do ensure your chance for it.

-J_r0kk

$10,000 a week is relative to the location. Its just getting by in my area.

how do u find the # of cars going by your location?waz up jrock, havent heard anything about ur store cant wait 4 the video of the finish project…

up,

To find the traffic counts in front of potential locations I use the following website: http://www.ksdot.org/burtransplan/maps/ … Cities.asp

The new store has been set back a few weeks. I lost my general manager in Junction City and I’m not going into another location without making sure my first location is covered. So, for the time being, I’m running some shifts in the first store, following up and construction and equipment installation in the second store, and looking for a general manager qualified enough to hire so we can get store #2 opened up. I’m projecting late July to open.

-J_r0kk

Thanks for your guys input, I appreciate it. Right now I’m also looking at another location but they want $2,900 a month. It is a 1700 sq. foot stand alone building with a large parking lot located at a really busy intersection. There are 51,634 houses within a 5 mile radius of the building and quite a few businesses. There are only 3 other pizza places to compete with. The only thing that has me nervous is the cost of the rent. I currently own two other pizza shops where I pay $600 a month at my first location and $900 a month at my second so this will be a big step up for me. My first location is in a city of 7,000 homes with 8 other pizza shops and my second store is in a small town with only 1 other competitor. I really want to make big money with this new location. I’m willing to pay for a great location but how much rent is too much? That’s the question I keep killing myself with.

Roger,

To justify the new location you would have to do $5,000 per month more in sales vs. your $900/month in rent store. You’d have to do $5,750 per month more in sales vs. your $600/month in rent store. If you feel this location will generate an extra $5,000 per month in business, there’s nothing to worry about.

-J_r0kk

Doing about 22K per week with over 25K addresses in delivery area. Delivery area is 3 miles some directions and up to 6 miles in some. Within or at edge or deivery area are 3 dominos, 2 PH, 2 PJ, 3 Howies, 1 Cici’s, 3 indy pizza restaurants, 3 indy Italian restaurants that sell pizza, plus two indy delivery places that are a couple miles outside my area that deliver to part of it. Rent is about 1700 including CAM plus garbage.

guest who is doing about 22k…how much is dine-in vs c/o and delivery. ?

No dine in, 85% delivery and 15% carryout

Wow…question…we average about 10k per week and were looking at doing a delco at the other end of town, a 1200sqft spot that has most of the equipment including vent hood, sinks, grease trap. the only thing I would need would be an oven and a prep table. theres 1pj, 1ph, 1dominos, and a mellow mushroom…what will it take to make this work? looking for feedback

This stinks, the cheapest rent I can find in my area (Poulsbo, WA so basically the Seattle market) is $16 sqft or about $3300 with the triple net included.

It really make me rethink if it is worth it and we can make ends meet even with a higher end product as everything else in town is cheap junk.

Pazzo di Pizza…So do you have enough potential in the area to do $10,000 or $11,000 per week?..RCS…

You guys don’t know how lucky you are with rent.

I’m paying $4,600 per month plus gas and electricity - all up average $6K per month for a 120 sq mt (1200 sq ft) shop on the outer side of a shopping centre.

Had a look at another similar size ex franchise shop around last christmas in a far lesss favourable position than my current one and rent was similar.

Since then rents have skyrocketed on the back of a building boom fuelled by our mining boom. So many people are cashed up they are buying houses, commercial and retail properties as investments.

Gee, we have to work that much harder just to cover rent.

Dave

That’s like $500 in ‘real’ (USA) Dollars, right? :smiley: Really it converts to a bout $3890, which is enough to put me in shock. I made that much gross sales last week :shock:

Maybe you give up that cushy seaside resort and buy a place that has FOUR SIDES for marketplace . . . oh ,. . . that wouldn’t solve any problems since you are overrun with business already and fighting to get employees to manage what you have.

I almost hate you, Dave, for having problems like that. I’d give a part of my body to have so much business I had trouble finding staff to cover. Of course that’s because I have a chanc ein my lifetime of actually fnding people to work for me. your economy over there is a real gutt punch to say the least.

Hello Roger,With that much sq.ft.you have many options to make it work.Are you getting a beer license or liquer even?Make sure to focus on something else other than pizza that will draw people in like,great subs,homemade pasta or something that differs from the other places around you. Good luck bro.

Niccademo                     [keep your dough off da cieling]

I can’t leave my “seaside resort” as I live a bout 200mts from the shop - directly over the road !! I can see the shop from my backyard, frontyard and sideyard so I know if my manager is scarping off early :lol:

I try not to think that it’s the heated economy driving the business. I just pretend it’s my great marketing and PR skills 8) .

The economists are predicting the current situation to last at least 16 years more before they see any slowing up so we will be hit with continued rent and utillity rises and continued staffing problems for some time yet. Puts a bit of a damper on my plans to open another shop with the continued price costs and staffing … but then again the area I want to go to is about 500mts from the golf course where I play.

One consolation is that the ocean is less than a mile from my home and the shop, so if it gets too big a hurdle I don’t have far to go and drown myself :? Hey that’s probably where all the workers I am missing are … down by the ocean fishing :lol:

Dave

households about 33,000. rent £1500. rates £552 common charges £900
total monthly £2952, about $5904 oh and i dont like it… :wink: