gas or electric air impingement oven?

We decide to append pizza as one of the food in the shop,also I know that the air impingement oven is getting popular,any one could give some comments about gas or electric would be more worth?

The operating costs are different for each and it depends on the price and type of power sources you have available. For me, if electric costs X amount, LP gas is about (0.7)X and natural gas is about (0.65)X to operate.

Find out the costs per kilowatt hour (kWh) for each power source in your area and you can easily see which is most efficient for you.

Be careful about buying the correct frequency for electrical controls, fans and conveyor motors. 60Hz controls from US ovens should not be used in 50Hz systems like most of the world uses. 50Hz components are fine in 60 Hz systems, though.

I would go with gas unless ventilation requirements or other costs made that impossible.

Hi Guys:

“I would go with gas unless ventilation requirements or other costs made that impossible.”

Actually the ventilation code code is the same for gas or electrically heated ovens or any other cooking equipment.

Any unit that raises the temperature above 220 degrees must be under a hood. The object of kitchen ventilation is to remove the cooking vapors and odors. That flue gas and heat are removed is an added benefit.

Gas is best, It cost less to operate gas units. An added benefit is that when gas combines with oxygen to burn moisture is created. Electrically heated oven have a tendency to dry the product more than gas units.
The temperature recovery of electrically heated equipment is slower than gas fired.

George Mills

“Actually the ventilation code code is the same for gas or electrically heated ovens or any other cooking equipment.”

Any gas oven would require a hood here, but for whatever reason a pair of electric lincoln 1132 (model number best of my recollection) did not require a hood when installed. For the 16 years my second location was in business we never had one. We added a third oven to the stack later but did not go back to ask about it. :slight_smile: Perhaps things have changed since then?

I do like the humidity factor George mentions about gas. That is one of the reasons I prefer it. Temp recovery is another. Not replacing heating elements is a third.

George, another question for you, is make-up air more likely to be needed with gas? (assuming similar capacity equipment)

George, another question for you, is make-up air more likely to be needed with gas? (assuming similar capacity equipment)

The ventilation and make up air requirements are the same be it electric or gas.

George Mills

What models would be more worth for a small pizzeria in gas?
Lincoln,Middelby,XLT or other brands?
any other references?

For the reason that George cites, the gas ovens bake faster, and more efficiently than the electric counterparts. We have demonstrated that any number of times. On average, the gas oven will bake with about a 1.5-minute shorter baking time and about a 25F lower temperature. I did a very comprehensive article on the new generation of air impingement ovens here in PMQ a couple of years ago. A quick trip through the archives should get you to the article.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Re: gas or electric air impingement oven?
by grayman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:15 pm

What models would be more worth for a small pizzeria in gas?
Lincoln, Middleby, XLT

All three are excellent ovens.

The XLT is less costly and has a five year warranty.

George Mills

A very good friend of mine bought a couple of used XLT’s that ended up needing a little factory support to get up and running to make HIS unique type of pizza. The folks at XLT supported those ovens as if they had sold them to him directly.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor