Gas vs. Electric Oven

Hello,

I’ve run my pizzeria in downtown Boston for seven years. We have been known for our thin crust pizzas that I have always prepared in Blodgett deck ovens. Now, we have lost our lease and are looking for a new location.

I found an ideal location that has excellent foot traffic and is close to our old location. However, many of the old Boston buildings do not have gas lines, and do not allow gas to be brought in. That means my only choice in this space would be electric cooking. My question is, can I achieve the same thin crust results with an electric oven as I can with gas?

Thanks for your input!

I have a double stack of electric ovens if you need to be in the market for new ovens.

can I achieve the same thin crust results with an electric oven as I can with gas?

My opinion is that you can. The electric ovens do not recover as fast as gas so you will find you will have to allow more time for the spot you just took a pizza up from to recover to the correct temperature.

Just a note: Many are under the impression that electric ovens do not require a hood. That is not correct. Ventilation requirements are the same for electric ovens as for gas.

George Mills