Getting the most out of garlic

I have tried a few recipes about garlic knots, and can not seem to get much garlic flavor out of my garlic. What am I doing wrong? I have a similar version of garlic knots thats uses a garlic and herb spread that I add granualted garlic to just for that better kick, they are more of a bread stick, but want to add garlic knots to my menu for people who do not much care for butter. Any tips or suggestions???

The way I was taught was after the knot proofs/bakes/reheats, it is hit HEAVILY with a garlic/butter/oil mix…we use a multi-purpose concoction that also has Parmesan & basil (we actually store/reheat them in foil and douse 'em in ‘heart-attack’ sauce & more house spice

Well I heat my olive oil on low heat and put the minced garlic in the oil in hopes of bringing out the garlic flavor, and after proofing my knots and brushing with oil/garlic mix and baking, it just seems that I can not taste the garlic even if I use more garlic than recipe calls for…Just want more garlic flavor and not sure how to go about it…

Try putting the garlic (fresh or processed/diced) into a blender with just enough olive oil to make a thin paste. Hear this in a microwave oven to release (pop) the garlic flavor. Brush the knots with a garlic infused oil just before baking, then as soon as they come out of the oven, brush the knots with the garlic paste, followed by a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. If the flavor is too stout, just add more oil to the paste to dilute the garlic.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I will try this, can I pick up a garlic infused olive oil anywhere? I thought that by heating the oil and garlic on the stove it would infuse the flavor into the oil, apparently not?

You can get more detail in the January 2011 Cook’s Illustrated magazine on the chemical compounds . . . . the heating of garlic speeds the conversion of the sharp flavor compounds into the more mellow compounds. Adding acid (like lemon juice) speeds it even more. We all know about roasted garlic is mellower and sweeter than raw; adding raw garlic to oil and heating it will begin the ‘cooking’ of the sharp flavor. The short pop in the micro that Tom suggests seems a good compromise of releasing the oils and taking the harshest edge off.

Garlic infused oils are pretty common in grocery stores as well as specialty food providers. There will be online vendors that are easy enough to find if you need some.

Heck there is a really great one by Sciabica oil company in California (around the corner from Stanislaus’ warehousing). Many of the manufacturers are pressing the garlic right in with the oilve pulp to create truly flavorful and safe oils.

We heat the knots to order and toss them in a bowl with melted butter and fresh chopped garlic from the toppings line, and a little dried parsley. Easy, very garlicky.

Have you tried adding some salt? Salt helps the flavor of Garlic pop a little more, maybe that is where your issue is?

I’m not a garlic expert or even a cooking expert. However, in watching cooking shows, the main points are to get the garlic fresh, chop in small pieces to get the most surface area, and be careful not to burn the garlic. You mentioned using granulated garlic, but I wasn’t sure if you were considering other options.

The pre-peeled cloves that you can get are supposed to lose flavor over using fresh garlic.

If you make your own garlic infused oil, just be sure to dispose of it at the end of each day. Do not carry it over from one day to the next. This is due to the potential for clostridium growth. Garlic can carry clostridium and when put into oil the anerobic conditions are created for clostridium growth. Will it grow? I can’t say, Can it grow? Yes. With clostridium, you don’t want to take any chances, so its best to play it safe and make fresh each day. If you opt to not heed this precautionary warning, I’d suggest picking up a supply of sympathy cards too, just in case.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

this isn’t a scientific observation but for me I seem to get better garlic flavor to come through if I use a garlic press to shred the garlic clove into whatever I’m infusing. I heat just until I get that nice garlic aroma while stirring. I also have a rule of thumb of adding 2 more cloves that I think I need (i like garlic) or adding some granulated into the mix.

I tried this by picking up a small bottle of pre-minced garlic but no go on flavor. I will try fresh next, dont know maybe my taste buds are fried HAHA.

OK I tried fresh garlic today and really seemed to work better overall, more garlic aroma and flavor. Must be the preminced looses flavor, dont see why though its in it owns juices whatever I got it. Thanks Everyone