Good information on Restaurant Success

Comments?

Business Week - Restaurateurs Don’t Just Wing It

I can’t read but the pictures are cool to look at.

What’s all over that guys coke glass ??? Ewwwwwwwww… :oops:

You can’t read it? I don’t understand.

Interesting articles. I also read the side article about the myths of restaurant failures. It mentioned juggling the business and a family. That is my biggest issue.

How do you all (who have kids) achieve a good work/life balance? I could use some advice…

Thanks!

Sara

I can’t read

Everyone up for pitching in on a Hooked on Phonics set for TD? :lol:

This is precisely why I took on a partner at the expense of splitting the profits. I just cannot see being able to run the place solo, much less have any time left to think strategically. Plus, it makes it much more fun.

Sara,

We’ve set our kids up in the office with games, tv, stuff for them to do so they can still be close to us, but have their own time. It does get rough sometimes, especially when we’re busy. It’s better now that our daughter is out of diapers. It just depends on the room that you have and what needs the kids have on how easy or hard it is.

Kameron put out a pretty good article in that other mag about why not to get a partner. Be sure you read it and set up a good partnership agreement.

In My Opinion, a solid owner is there, ALL THE TIME. My daughter was 15 when we started and it was my biggest issue. I couldn’t find the balance and I sold. I do not understand why people with young children go into such a saturated market as business operators.
PD

In My Opinion, a solid owner is there, ALL THE TIME. My daughter was 15 when we started and it was my biggest issue. I couldn’t find the balance and I sold. I do not understand why people with young children go into such a saturated market as business operators.
PD

:? okay…well maybe for many reasons, to bad we couldn’t all just quit work altogether and all stay home with the children…wouldn’t that be nice.

I work from morning until night, 65-70 hours a week in the hopes that a successful pizza shop will make life easier for my children(3 and 1). My father worked his arse off building his own business and I rarely saw him during my childhood. But the times we spent together were wonderful and he was completely focused on my sister and I during that time. It’s quality, not quantity. I know 9-5 schleps that are home 3x as much as I am but don’t spend nearly as much quality time with their kids than I do.

I wish that I could say that I ‘went into’ this business, but I feel like this business chose me. It’s in my blood, it’s what I’m good and it’s what I love to do. But most importantly it’s how I help provide for my family that I love very much. Hopefully, when my children are older they will feel the same way about me as I do my father.

Well said td_vp
I have 3 little ones (5, 3, 3 months) and mommy stays home to take care of them while I work 70-75 hrs Mon-Sat. We are lucky enough to be able to close Sundays and for a week every 6 months to spend time with the family. I grew up in this biz and got my degree and tried the corporate world…let me tell you I never looked back!

Are you being serious? I think that might be the worst advice I’ve ever read on here. But like you said, that’s why you’re no longer in business.

There are benefits and costs to having a partner. You have to decide whether it makes sense to you. A solid partnership agreement and a thorough understanding of each other is essential.

Personally, I am tired of hearing what a guru Kamron is. No offense to you. I have just met too many of these self-promoters in my life. I am wary of them now.

That is exactly what’s in my “plan”. I’d have a room in the back with a twin bed, a TV, and a little room to move. The bed, of course, is for me to rest between rushes. :slight_smile:

^^^