Good to be back... Quick prep line question, 8ft or 10ft?

Hey gang

Been a while since I posted, but I have popped on the board now and again to check out the latest. I have a quick question

I found on craigslist two prep tables I am interested in buying, both True brand, both about the same condition, one being a 10 footer the other an 8 footer. The 10ft is $800 while the 8ft is $600. I can’t decide which to buy and I almost think I should buy both. Any opinions? Is bigger better in this case?

I am going to start working on the FAQ sticky again and get this updated. Looks like it is being put to good use. I know I have jumped in there a few times trying to find a thread or two.

Re: Good to be back… Quick prep line question, 8ft or 10ft

I have an 8ft and wish I had a 10ft. I have found the need for more space as things have gotten busier and I have added more toppings.

HI Pazzo de Pizza:

Get the serial numbers of the units and then phone True to see if the units meet the NSF standard 7
Many older units do not and your health inspector could keep you from using them.
True’s phone # is 800-272-6152

George Mills

First off, space will probably dictate the size of makeline used. Menu will also play into your decision. Will you be doing sandwiches and pasta dishes out of the same unit? I do a pretty good business off my 8 footer, and don’t see the need for a 10 footer in my operation. Some place put cheese on before toppings and after toppings. If this your way, probably use a 10’ and set up cheese at start and finish. If you think enough about your kitchen model, you’ll know which to buy. You’ll get better feedback from here if you post more about menu and planned kitchen setup.

I totally understand the space comment, I feel like I am getting the horse ahead of the cart. Find the location in our town has proven to be the most difficult. In the short run, I wanted to pick up quality pieces at good buys and store them until we are ready. Teh 10Ft sounds like the better deal offering flexibility for additional toppings, double cheese etc. I am sure I can fit and extra 2ft somewhere. Thanks.

I’d go with the 10’ all things being equal.

You need flexibility. We’ve configured ours to have a large primary assembly area and second, smaller station at the other end.

Each end has cheese, the popular meats, scale, etc. In the middle of the two stations are the more rare ingredients, but still in the reach of each person. We can have two people making pizzas (and weighing every ingredient) without moving an inch. You can really mow through some tickets this way. We don’t split the tickets though, each station works a ticket till it’s done, cuts confusion.

Works out well for busy times,

10 foot for sure…
id buy both at that cost