?_Green:

Steve,

I need help. I’ve built a beautiful gourmet pizzeria in a new shopping plaza that’s dead! I was told that a very popular bar was going to be the largest tenet and 4 other units where going to be filled by other stores. After I had started building I found out that the bar wasn’t coming and that the four units empty were filled by a medical center(in a retail space?). There is a hair salon that brings me most of my business but not enough to keep up with the bills. I’ve only been open for almost 6 months and just hitting the 3,000 a week mark for sales.
Do you think I should move down the street a 1/2 mile to a new shopping center that’s connected to a gourmet market and that popular bar is also one of the tenets(among many others). The gourmet market has a store in the area that over 3,000 people a day shop at it and the other stores also bring in many shoppers.
My plaza brings in around 400 people a week. Not good for a new plaza that sits over 130 yards off the road and no one can read my sign because its small(due to township regulations).
I did a survey with my customers and over 80% said my pizza was the best they have every had and the other 15% said it was the best they’ve that in the metro Detroit area. I know I have a great product. I’ve been in the business for over 12 years with my last pizzeria(the ex owns it now) and have never have such great feed back.

Should I relocate down the street a 1/2 mile or that the 20k it would take to move it and advertise like crazy?

Augusto,

Sorry nobody's responded to your post.  I'll give it a crack... I think you've answered your own question.  You said the shopping center you're in is

Not good for a new plaza that sits over 130 yards off the road and no one can read my sign because its small(due to township regulations).
and
The gourmet market has a store in the area that over 3,000 people a day shop at it and the other stores also bring in many shoppers.
My plaza brings in around 400 people a week.

Why would you spend $20,000 in advertising something that will never work if you (and only if) can get out of your lease and put it into a more fruitful location that sounds like you’ll double your sales at least?

And don’t think for one moment location is only a small piece of the puzzle. I’ve, in the past, worked for some major pizza companies and seen stores that did… okay. I’ve seen these companies close those stores down and open new ones up across the street, or a block away, and watched them rake in the cash. It’s all about location and if you’re in a pit, no matter how much you dress it up or how much you advertise, it’ll always be a pit.

I’m just sorry you put the store in the wrong spot and have to go through all this. Hope this helps. -J_r0kk