Gum Line HELP!!

I just opened my second location and I’m encountering a gum line problem that I never had at my original location. We are doing everything exactly the same and are using the same oven that we use at my original location. For some reason we are getting a gum line on all our pizzas and customers are saying the pizzas are raw even when they look completely done. I don’t know what to do! I’m so confused…PLEASE HELP!!!

We experience this from time to time and it mainly happens on heavy topped or moisture ladden topped pizzas. Try putting the skin in the oven for 20 seconds to heat it then lightly wipe oil on the base before adding sauce and cheese. This works well for us.

Dave

There are so many things and interactions that can cause a gum line that I could write a book on it, or at least a good article, which I have. Do a quick search through the PMQ archives to find my article addressing the dreaded gum line.
Please tell me something about your pizzas and your oven:
Here are a few things that have resulted in the development of a gum line when going into a second, or different location;

1. Colder prep table (topping ingredients may actually be cold enough to freeze in some cases).
  2. Gas pressure or volume to the oven(s). Marsal oven going into a location with a regulated gas line can cause a real problem as this oven already has an on-board regulator and the addition of a second one kills the recover time of the oven.
  3. Check the dough temperature at the time of opening the dough balls into skins to make sure it is the same at both locations.
  4. If a deck oven, be sure to check the color of the flame (should be blue).
  5. Verify the operating temperature of the oven.
    Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,
I’m considering getting a Marsal oven. Is the regulated gas line problem something that is easily remedied?
Thanks

We have a gum line problem on our emergency dough, not sure if a slow rise is the answer but it works for us.

When we end up having to dig into the tomorrows doughballs we cook normally and then on the last minute take the pizza off the screen and put back straight on the deck for a minute. Its not ideal but does crispen it up a bit so its not soggy. Need a deck oven of course.

Bluemoose;
No, it’s not a problem. Just remove the regulator from the gas line and you’re good to go.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thanks Tom.